Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming wearable, the Apple Watch, takes advantage of a unique interface that arranges apps with circular icons in a cluster-based design for quick and easy access with the device's included Digital Crown, or scroll wheel.

YouTuber Lucas Menge has created a mockup of what the Apple Watch interface might look like when translated to a larger device, like the iPhone. As with the Apple Watch, Menge's concept lets users zoom in and out on the app landscape, viewing one small cluster of apps or all the apps installed on the device.

The interface incorporates app names, which deviates from the design on the Apple Watch, and simple swipes allow users to scroll through the apps installed on the phone. Tapping when zoomed out will zoom into the area that's been tapped, and when zoomed in, a tap on an icon launches an app.

Menge, whose design was inspired by a mockup post created by 9to5Mac's Michael Steeber, has published his prototype code for the design on GitHub. Apple Watch, with its unique Watch OS operating system, will be available beginning in early 2015.

Article Link: Concept Video Demonstrates Apple Watch-Style Interface on iPhone

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
anything is better than the current setup.

who's going to swipe to page 9 to launch an app that they barely use? most people just launch apps from page 1 or search for it I think

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Doesn't seem to suit it so well without a digital crown, but it is nonetheless beautifully fluid.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
this is not handy. way too confusing... one must remember every position of their apps.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Still not sold on it.

I like pagination and folders a lot more, it's just closer to how I think and how I mentally sort and find my apps.

My games are on page 2, there you find folders like Arcade, Strategy, Action, Racing.
My most commonly used ones are on page 1, some in a folder in my dock, because at some point that felt natural for me, also nice to access them from any page I'm on in Springboard.

The mandatory folder of stuff I never open except when apps or links link to it/now as well extensions/Swift (or any potential keyboard), that's called "Silent Existence" and is on my last page of course.

Just some examples of pages and folders rule my world, the Apple Watch layout seems okay for the device it's made for and the limited space available and possibly not reaching the amount of apps that I have on my iPhone or iPad.

Glassed Silver:mac

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
This was the first thing I thought as soon I saw the Apple Watch UI. The iOS homescreen really needs a new UI, and this is pretty good and fresh!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Did anyone else notice when he kept on pronouncing icon, iken?

Just his accent.

----------

This was the first thing I thought as soon I saw the Apple Watch UI. The iOS homescreen really needs a new UI, and this is pretty good and fresh!

I think this is absolutely genius! What a fresh take on the home screen! Sure, may not be entirely practical, but it definitely has that "cool factor"! :cool:

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I like this. Definitely would want to try for some time and then decide, if it really is better than current icon grid. It might be! :)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
this is not handy. way too confusing... one must remember every position of their apps.

I disagree. With this, you can potentially lay out your apps in a more irregular shape, which takes much better advantage of your evolved ability to memorise the layouts of natural landscapes. Grids are for computers, not human minds. I bet tests would show users able to find their apps far quicker in this layout.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No, just no. The only reason people are liking it is because it's different.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't think iOS needs a radical redesign. If they want to freshen things up, Apple should simply release the OS from the stale grid design and allow icon/folder/widget placement wherever the user chooses. Let each person create their own "redesign" of the home screen. Look at the "post your home screen" threads. Other than wallpaper, every home screen looks the damn same. Get rid of the grid. Where's the "think different"?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've never been a spotlight user and I'm not sure it is as useful on the iPhone as it is on the Mac, but I have started using Spotlight as a launcher more and more with Yosemite, and will try to do the same with my Phone except for key apps. That and multitasking switcher. I think either of those is better than drilling into folders.

This was well executed and I can see it going on Cydia, but it really doesn't represent as useful other than in some sort of "new" candy appearance to give users a change.

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
I don't think iOS needs a radical redesign. If they want to freshen things up, Apple should simply release the OS from the stale grid design and allow icon/folder/widget placement wherever the user chooses. Let each person create their own "redesign" of the home screen. Look at the "post your home screen" threads. Other than wallpaper, every home screen looks the damn same. Get rid of the grid. Where's the "think different"?

And become the mess Android UI homescreen is? No, thanks! Of course iOS needs a radical redesign, it's been the same old grid of icons since the first iPhone for god sake. This looks very fresh and at first sight I find it very easy and quick to find the app you're looking for.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
not sure if trolling

1. when you press the home button, you are returning to a central point.
2. can you remember every single app on the 6th page? unlikely.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Looks neat, but whatever future version of iOS looks like in terms of app navigation, what I'd really like to see is an option for an App Drawer, or Launchpad to hide and reveal my apps when I want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.