Concept Video Shows a 13-Inch 'iPad Pro' Running a Full Version of OS X

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A concept video of a 13-inch "iPad Pro" running a full version of OS X has been posted by Italian consulting company SET Solution (via Funky Space Monkey). The iPad in the video is depicted as having a large form factor with very thin bezels, and is shown displaying OS X Mountain Lion with touch controls. The video also shows off the ability to easily connect an Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse to the iPad, enabling a full desktop-like environment.

The possibility of Apple combining OS X and iOS into one unified platform has been a popular topic of discussion recently, as both have begun to share a common sense of design principles. However, an interview with Apple executives Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi in Macworld last month revealed that the company sees the combination iOS and OS X as a "non-goal", with the former saying that the effort would be a "waste of energy" and the latter saying that Apple is focused on building the best products for unique purposes.

Despite this public dismissal, J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz predicted earlier this month that Apple is indeed working on a platform that combines OS X and iOS, which is termed as "iAnywhere." Specifically, the analyst states that the combo operating system would work in tandem with an iOS device docked to a secondary display, running as a full-blown computer. Various other companies have experimented with dual operating systems and other hybrid solutions in the past, but mostly to no acclaim from the general public.

Overall, it is unlikely that Apple will debut a tablet running a full version of OS X as seen in the video or a combo operating system anytime soon. However, recent reports do point to Apple releasing a 12.9-inch iPad running a next-generation version of iOS sometime in the future, with a launch projected for late this year or early next year.

Article Link: Concept Video Shows a 13-Inch 'iPad Pro' Running a Full Version of OS X
  2. macrumors 603

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
    Does not prove that Apple is going to make a pro version but that they would like to.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    Here we go.

Shouldn't Apple have already realized desktop based OS's are horrible on mobile devices?
  4. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2007
    San Francisco
  5. macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure they have. I'm also sure this envisioned device is (thankfully) never happening.
  6. macrumors member

Jun 6, 2010
    I'll take one of those Apple wireless keyboards with the ten-key.
  7. macrumors member

Jan 14, 2008
    Touch targets for mobile are very very different for click targets for desktop OSes.

8. macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2011
    "They're confused; they chased after netbooks. They tried to make tablets into PCs and PCs into tablets."
    - Tim Cook, 22nd October 2013 (on Apple's PC competitors' lack of direction).
  9. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    Hopefully Apple stops this idea if it's already in production, this is already a failure.
  10. macrumors 6502

Blue Fox

Apr 13, 2009
    Ummmmmm. So what would be the difference between a 13" iPad "pro" running OSX versus just using MacBook Air? All programs made for OSX are not made to be used with a touch screen, no matter how clever Apple got with the OS. The programs themselves still require a keyboard and mouse.

11. macrumors 601

Nov 12, 2007
    We know Apple's not going to do this, there's no point and they basically confirmed it last month.

Instead Apple's just going to have the retina version of MacBook Air that's going to be lighter and thinner while lasting 12+ hours on a single charge in a few years.
  12. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Hehe, not gonna happen. These so-called "analysts" have no clue of anything...

Getting a little sick of these "rumors"...
  13. macrumors 6502a

Feb 19, 2006
    Anyone care to compare Tim Cook's and JP Morgan's track record on predicting future Apple products?

This is the product Apple will develop the day Steve Balmer replaces Tim Cook as Apple's CEO.
  14. macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2010
    Just a note to set solutions. You realise that using apples logo and desktop images in a video to self promote your company is against their usage terms, expect to get their lawyers calling you soon.

Also what an utter waste of your time. Do something constructive.
  15. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2013
    All i can say in this concept is a wireless monitor.
  16. macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Again, I find myself asking...why, MacRumors, why?
  17. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    This site basically reports anything anybody tells them to.
  18. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Boring concept.
    All they did was prove they can insert some 3D model in a video.

Yet they did nothing to address what actually needs to be conceptualized: the software.

OS X as it is cannot properly be used with a touchscreen. We all know Apple would never release such thing. Try minimizing a window and you risk closing it every single time.

So what do you do to address this? Make OS X clickable targets bigger when no mouse is connected? Have a second iOS-like interface for touch displays, basically a hybrid OS like MS is doing? Have some kind of magnification feature, a bit like when you select text in iOS?

Those are the questions that need to be answered, and those possible answers should be conceptualized. Not just upscale some iPad Air 3D model.
  19. macrumors 601

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    Wow, you mean I can run my finger down the Dock and the icons will magnify? Awesome, that clearly means OS X is ready for use on a tablet! :rolleyes:
  20. macrumors member

Jan 7, 2009
    This was made by some third party that has no idea what Apple's future product line is, they're not manufacturing it.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    I understand completely, you just didn't read "if" and assumed I meant it was made by Apple.
  22. macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2014
    Seattle, WA.
    This is exactly one of the reasons Apple has stated that OS X and iOS won't be merged.
  23. macrumors 68030

May 31, 2007
    National Weather Center
    I was going to write this, but you did a great job already. This video was pretty dumb. If OS X ever appears on an iPad, it won't look exactly like it does on a Mac.
  24. macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dec 15, 2013
    New York
    Obviously not every one knows this so I'll say it.
    iOS is apples touch and mobile OS
    OS X is apples desktop/laptop/computery OS
    That's all I need to know to know that any iPad like device will run iOS.
  25. macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2010
    my words exactly. everything from analysts should be ignored. their opinions are boring.