Concerned that Apple have duped me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BitMe, Oct 28, 2006.

1. BitMe macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2006
    Ok, I'm quite new to technology, laptops and forum discussions. I've been living in outback Australia , climbing and being a freespirited bum for the last two years, so bare with me if my question sounds paranoid.

What happened, previously, I bought an Apple MacBook Pro (the very first edition) but 5-8 months later it had a kernal panic and the screen when black. All attempts by myself and more computer savvy (apple care) people couldn't fix my problem.

SIX weeks later, they resolved my problem by sending me out a new laptop. My original laptop was a 15" 1.8 GHz blah blah. So the model they gave me was a 15" 2.GHz blah blah. It was a bit of an upgrade. I was just happy to get my hands on my assignments/ uni work and files again.

Anyway, my question is, after about one or two weeks playing with my laptop, I look at it carefully and realise the casing at the top right hand corner exactly where the 'eject' button is has a slight bend in the surface. I run my finger over it and the surface is definitely not smooth. So I look around again. I see very faint marks which are located about where my old laptop had marks (caused by bumps). I begin to wonder if Apple Care really did give me a new laptop.

Anyway, I think to myself, well, each computer must have a unique serial number and checked the serial number on the computer with the box that it originally came in and the old box that I still had at home. Yeap the serial number mached up with the right box.

Still, I'm paranoid, so can anyone out there, is there anyway, AppleCare could have scammed me and repaired my old computer and given me the impression that I have a new computer?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through this post and answering!
  2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Could be, but if you go to About this Mac and it says 2GHz, you certainly have got new innards.

You also have a working MacBook Pro, so it seems to me that it's not much to worry about even if you have the same casing that you used to have.

Part of your posts also suggests that it came back with your files on them. If this is right, it may mean they swapped the motherboard and or cpu, but the rest of the computer is the same. In any case, I don't see why they should be obliged to give you a new computer. I think their support and service terms clearly say that you're not entitled to a new product until your original product has been in for repair three times or something like that.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Did they actually say they sent you a new laptop?

Sounds to me they found a problem with the logic board and, not having any 1.83GHz units left, swapped in a newer 2.0GHz logic board.

Has it fixed the problem and is your laptop running well?
  4. BitMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2006
    Yeap, AppleCare transferred my files onto the new laptop. I'm not really concerned about whether I recieved a new laptop but rather wanted to know why the casing should have a dent/ bump in it. The dent lead me to other concerns.

In terms of what happened with my specific situation. My computer was out of action for around six weeks, AppleCare then happily said they would replace it with an upgraded model because the model I had didn't exist anymore (correctly presumed by Chandler!). But anyway, so, when transfering files from an old laptop to a new one, would they need to open up the computer or just do that Shift T function? Could that explain the existance of this bend in my beautifully new unscathed laptop?

You know what, I'm not really a materialistic kinda person, but when I got my hands on my first ever purchase of my own computer I was so stoked. I kinda couldn't help but be a bit precious about it!

Thanks for the response!
  5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I very much doubt they transferred all your stuff onto a new machine. I think they just gave you a new and upgraded Logic Board. You are lucky they didnt erase all your stuff. ALWAYS backup your stuff if you need to send it away for repair/upgrade.
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yep, definitely sounds like they just swapped in a new logic board. They didn't transfer your files to a new machine, it's your old machine with a new logic board and put your old hard drive back in.

Pretty standard procedure though, a bugger it took so long but at least it's all fixed.
  7. BitMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2006
    But does it explain the new serial number? I image computer serial numbers are like car engine serial numbers (another topic I know very little about.) But aren't they like a finger print, each one is unique?

Also, I did have a look at the "About This Mac" and it does say 2GHz. What does this mean?? New computer or new hard drive? Or new logic board??

Further explanation about my situation: Apple care were waiting on a new logic board (or some such part) to replace with my old one, but after six weeks, someone got back to me to say they weren't making these parts anymore (or not for the 1.8GHz model) so that's why I have this upgraded model.

Oh, I am rather comfused! Anyway, Gekko's right, I do have a working computer back in my hands. Very happy and just in time for exams. And all new things become old at some stage!

For now, I'll just divert my eyes from that distorted surface.
  8. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yep, it's settled. They replaced the logic board (or what PC users call the "mother board") basically it's the part that everything else attaches to. They had run out of the logic boards with the 1.83GHz processors on them so they ripped it out and put a 2.0GHz logic board in. The serial number relates to the logic board because, with that replaced it's pretty much a brand new computer just in your old case with your old HDD.

Still confused?
  9. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    What do you mean new serial number? The serial number on the machine matches your packaging because its the same system, they just replaced the logic board and reattached your hard drive.