Concorde to retire by end 2003

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Apr 9, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

It would seem that British airways is going to retire Concorde towards the end of this year.... :( I feel quite sad.... we used to live under the flight path in berkshire, and I can remember running out into the garden when it was circling ready to land years ago....

Even though the catalogue of problems seems to have increased over the last few months.... Concorde is a truly divine aircraft that sadly I'll never get to experience now....

link if your're interested....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2934257.stm

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

maybe this will incite an uproar for faster travel that will spark the upper-bourgeois revolution i have been waiting for. mwhahahaha!!

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

If concorde were to be withdrawn, how would the need for high-speed travel between europe and the US be catered for until a replacement comes out? The earliest dates i've heard for a new SST is 2010. That's a long time for those who need every minute they can get from life.

Personally i think that concorde should stay flying. The safety has been improved, and seems to have done the trick, for the time being. Perhaps just keep them going for now, and refurbish them a few years down the line.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

It would seem that global economy has something to do with it... well if BA lowered the prices, I'd be on the Concorde tomorrow I personally have no problem with suspected safety issues with the sleek one....

They were only completely refurb'd (well the BA ones atleast) before they were reintroduced to service in 2001..... so they should be pretty smooth!

It's a shame, because we were one of only 2 countries in the world that had a passenger aircraft that could show some of the militaries finest a clean pair of heels!!

5. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I know they were only recently refurbished, but concorde caters to premium tastes, and needs to be kept v. up-to-date if it hopes to continue to attract customers.

The global economic slow-down probably has as much to do with the drop in passenger numbers as the continued reports of problems with concorde. Even after the recent refurbishment you still hear about problems with concorde (pieces falling off etc.). Concorde's reputation is in tatters, and is unlikely to recover anytime soon.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, end of an era.

Never got to fly on one, always wanted to. I don't think we'll see anything supersonic to replace it until we get a hypersonic plane. No real research is being done on supersonic commercial transports. Even Boeing is scrapping their plans and going with a larger, sub sonic plane than the 747.

D

7. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I nearly got to fly on one, just after the Air France crash - working for a News network based in London, we were to go onboard and interview some passengers, get shots, etc.

I had my ticket (round trip costs £6500! - all charged to the Corporate AMEX, of course...), and sat with my (rather excited) journalist in the Concord lounge waiting to board. Unfortunately, my reporter was recognised, and we weren't allowed to fly - British Airways thought it to be bad taste. What should they care? We STILL had to pay for the seats...

Naturally, BA reimbursed the tickets - a shame, 'cos I REALLY wanted to have a crack on it (On the brighter side, I STILL managed to get my Frequent Flyer points credited to my account!).

Nevertheless, I've been in it on numerous occasions on the ground, and it's not much chop - unless you'd like the experience of flying inside a toilet tube (it's a bit of a tight squeeze...). And Mach flying is really overrated. I've flown past the speed of sound before - in the back seat of a military jet, and in a Mach dive in a business jet. Now THAT'S flying fast...

However, it's still the most beautiful plane in the skies - and it flies over my house twice a day, about 1 minute after takeoff. What a noise - what a sight.

And who knows? My boss may just yet allow me to fly on one of the last flights - as it IS a worthy enough story to cover (and they OWE me for missing out LAST time...).

;)

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Well, you have 6 months left in which to fulfill that dream :) BA confirmed today that the concorde fleet is going to be withdrawn, in tandem with Air France.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very cool, good luck! I'm sure that there are going to be quite a few people doing a last tour on the Concord. They might even see a spike in sales over the next couple months.

D

10. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

I used to live near JFK airport in New York, and would see the Concorde all the time flying past the beach. So majestic. When I saw it take off it would disappear from sight and then I'd hear the boom.

11. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Hmmm - maybe it's a cunning ploy by British Airways to drum up sales...

If that's the case, then perhaps the surge in popularity might just see it through for a bit longer. Who knows with BA? They sure as hell don't...

Anyway - with Air France's Concorde fleet out of the picture, they'd be the ONLY airline in the world with a Supersonic transport plane.

And ALL the airlines are out for a gimmick since the worldwide decline in "bums on seats" happened. This might be the avenue they're looking for. I'd imagine if their fleet are retired, another airline may just snap 'em up, very quickly. After all - BA's fleet all underwent a MONUMENTAL refit in the past year, so they're all up to pristine flight spec. I'm sure that BA would want to recoup some of their losses with the costs incurred from that escapade. So I'd say the planes would go up for sale, and would be a very attractive purchase - for say, United or American (or perhaps even Qantas) !!!

;)

Of course, the Royal Air Force would have to keep one - purely for diplomatic missions. They'd probably call it "Blair Force One"...

(Gadd - George "Dubya" would be plenty pi$$ed seeing THAT arrive at Andrews Air Force Base for an Anglo-US summit at Camp David - "...Why can't I have one of those? My brother Jeb said it was a DONE DEAL!!!")

:D

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I am going to miss that aircraft, see it most days over the house or the Uni (both on the Heathrow approach).

I was very happy to see it back in service after the crash, its passing will make the skies much less interesting. :(