Concurrent Enrollment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paintballer, Jan 29, 2007.

1. paintballer macrumors regular

I'm planning on buying a MacBook when Leopard comes out and I was wondering if I am in high school but taking concurrent enrollment classes (taught by college teachers and you get both high school and college credit) do I qualify for the education discount? I'm not sure if I'm going to college or high school next year so I would like to research both options. Also is it legal to have my brother buy a Mac using his education discount and then give it to me?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You'll need to be enrolled in a college to qualify for the discount; however, your brother can definitely use his discount to purchase a Mac for you.

3. paintballer thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm not considered to be enrolled in college if I'm in concurrent enrollment? I mean its called concurrent enrollment, doesn't that imply that your enrolled in both college and high school? I would just have my brother buy it for me but he isn't sure if he is going to stay in school or not so he may not be going to school anymore by the time that I want to buy it. I want to go to college but I'm not sure if it will happen this year or if I will have to wait to go until next year and I'm not gonna wait that long to get my Mac.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have a student ID from the college? If so, that should be sufficient enough to receive the discount.

There may also be age requirements, although I'm not aware of any.

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

They don't ask for your age. As long as you don't look like you're 5 or something you should be fine. They just look at the ID to see your picture and so they can enter the name of the school and that's about it.

I think you have to actually be enrolled in a college though, to get the discount.

6. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Concurrent Enrollment is a partnership between the college and the high school, which specifically means you are a high school student receiving college credit for classes, not a college student, which loosely means you probably do not qualify for the educational discount. It's a very blurry line, though, and you might be able to talk to someone at Apple and get the deal anyway because of your circumstances. (you ARE a student after all)