Condi Pic "Demonized" by USA Today

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crdean1, Oct 27, 2005.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Maybe it is just the media's way of giving public figures their own personalized set of Halloween eyes to scare off trick or treaters. If that particular picture were posted on Condi's door and I was a kid, I'd get on a broom and fly away as fast as I could. :)

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and then:
    that's from the USA today article. didn't take the liberal media long to correct it, eh?

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I am sure many people remember the furor that was caused when Time magazine published their very dark cover picture of O.J. Simpson shortly after his arrest.

5. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

zimv20: Yeah, I thought that was funny.

It should have read:

"We were caught trying to make Condi look like a demon because there is a possibility she might run for President in 2008, and we wanted to make sure the american people got freaked out by this doctored picture so that they wouldn't even think about voting for her."

Look at the before pic. Give me a break. Like you wouldn't notice that after you finished doctoring it.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I agree. After-the-fact disclaimers and retractions do little to negate the effect that the original article or photo had. The message - for better or worse - was sent and will register in the minds of readers as they see fit.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wow almost funny yet sad for the U.S.A.Today. Its clear we have a govt not in touch with the people, but very in touch with Special Interests. You think Condi's paychecks are signed by Dick Cheney?or Haliburton?

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Who the **** reads USA Today?

More to the point, who the **** decides how they feel about someone based on one photograph? I've seen horrid looking touchups and misprints in newspapers and didn't give them a second thought.

Just keep crying persecution, though, because some people are dumb enough to buy it.

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Oooh. Wow. I thought she resembled Satan already. Silly me.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I played around with the "replacement" picture in Photoshop, and even adjusting overall levels and sharpness, there's still no way Condi comes out with demonic eyes.

I have to think someone didn't just "adjust the area around the eyes", but was deliberately trying for that effect. Whether for Halloween humor or political comment, that person needs to be disciplined. That is not acceptable.

Having said that, USA Today certainly took quick action fixing the problem. Had this been right-wing media, there would have been a lot of defensive whining, pointing the finger right back at the "liberal media". They wouldn't fix the picture; they'd make a million excuses for it.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wouldn't put too much stock in the rantings of a woman who defends the internment of Americans of Japanese descent.

Besides, I'll believe the media is liberal when they correct the record of the Swift Boat Asshats....

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I got close to that effect by adjusting the white point on the picture. Still not perfect, but it was close. Hard to say whether it was premeditated -- maybe just trying to make the whites of her eyes look "white."

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's a stroll down memory lane for all of us: Remember when conservatives used to decry the "culture of victimization" that we in the U.S. had supposedly become at the hands of those terrible liberals? So, I've got a message for conservatives: cut this whining and sniveling. Grow up already!

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

You need to use

Filter>sharpen>smart sharpen

tweak and youll see it.

15. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I think it's a stretch to say they were trying to make her look worse. I do a similar thing to make eyes look better in my pics all the time. Sometimes I overdo it also. I often don't realize that my editing has been too heavy-handed until I look at my work weeks-months later and see how unnatural it appears.

For example, here is an image I took of my son:
    [​IMG]
    Here I sharpened the eyes:
    [​IMG]
    With Condi, it looks as though they did a similart thing, plus tried to whiten her whites. I don't see this as an attempt to demonize.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he's a good lookin' kid.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not even a little demonic.

18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's what they said about Damien Thorn. ;)

20. katchow macrumors 6502

is this the same woman who doesn't believe Bush's teleconference w/ the troops was staged?

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

umm, this link was on that website.

wait for it...

wait for it.....

there goes her credibility! (not that the photo wasn't edited wrong, but the woman whose site it was on.... yuck)

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wasn't the issue with OJ the fact that he was made too dark? Something against the liberal ideal of equality among the races? They made Condi look brighter. If anything, she looks better in the first pic, because in the real one she looks half asleep. :p Or it was just somebody who doesn't like her and thought it would be funny.

Me thinks thou art looking for mountains in mole hills.

23. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

zimv20, IJ Reilly, and Starbucks Sam,
    Thanks for the nice words about Oliver!