conditioning ipods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Pr0jkt, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Pr0jkt macrumors regular

Hey all,

I just got a new ipod and i was wondering a few things

1. Whats the best way to get the maxium battery life out of the ipod
    2. How long should I keep my ipod connected to my computer
    3. Is there a way to caliberate the batter like I can with my mbp??

2. mdickson macrumors regular

I use my iPod battery until it dies before I charge/sync it again. I also just leave it plugged into my computer until it's charged, although I don't think any real harm can be done for leaving it plugged in longer. I've never had any problem with any of my iPods.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

You will not harm your new iPod by leaving it plugged in. The iPods contain sensors that tell when the battery is fully charged so it doesn't harm it by "overcharging" like some batteries can.

As for maximizing battery life while playing, use the backlight as little as possible and skipping songs/ fast forwarding uses more juice because the hard drive has to spin up sooner to access the next song to hold in its cache. I mean let's face it, you aren't going to deplete your battery like that *snaps fingers* if you do that, but since you asked, you will use up more battery that way than if you just let it play straight through.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

unless its a nano or shuffle ;) :p

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

very true. But the memory still has to be accessed to fill the cache so it's really just a different word ;)