Confessions Of A Gamer..

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Sep 3, 2006.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I was a spoilt child getting every console and handheld I wanted....Sega, Atari, Nintendo, Neo Geo...I had them all..loving them playing them. I got bored of them and put them away to collect dust in my fathers basement never to be touched again...not by me at least.

Dreamcast, Playstation, N64....what the hell is this..I must have them..wait wait..sega had a saturn, segaCD...I must own them...although the later left a sour taste in my mouth but nontheless It won't stop my quest. Spending money I had, spending money I didn't have, spending money my girlfriend had...Yes I got them all except her but goodbye to her and now I can become the best!

PS2, Xbox, GameCube...WTF..you are moving too fast I can't catch up but I need to own it. Once again I'm on top buying everything including the handhelds..oh yeah I'm feeling good...what joy I got when I kicked sam12345 in the gut on xboxlive...oh the fun!

xbox360.....I must have you, my own, my precious.....wait I don't enjoy you, I'm I lost to your magic..is it the other woman again but she loves playing with you as well...what is going on. My box collects dust....for weeks without being played by me..my mind tells me yes but I never do..

Should I spend money on the PS3, Wii knowing that I grow tired of games..

This is my confession..

Bless

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes..because Wii will be different type of gaming...also just sell all your old systems to pay for the new ones, then your not losing that much money

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Riggz, Man you are in exactly the same boat as me.. I have an almost identical experience both in the past and present... I've been in the lucky position to own nearly all the consoles and most of the computers. easier to name ones i havent had that ones I have... the zx81 and monster maze started me off when i was about 3 :)

I think I enjoy the buying, the new console experience, the I got one syndrome, I lust after and buy the latest games that look great, but once we do a few levels in and the charm has gone and the next fix is needed to fill the void, but that's ok because a,b,c are all released next week too.....

I've spent a fortune on gaming and still do, and yet there are days, nay weeks at times I never even bother turning on a single console for more than 5 minutes, and yet i spend more time pre-ordering, and researching hardware and games than actually playing...

The next few months are just as bad....

I'm buying the following between now & december...

For the Xbox 360 alone..

sept..
    Dead Rising, Enchant Arm, Lego Starwars 2, Just Cause, Saints Row, TimeShift
    oct...
    SplinterCell, Xbox Live Vision
    nov...
    Gears of War, Rainbow Six : Vegas, Sonic The Hedgehog, Call of Duty 3, Forza 2, Fear, Phantasy Star Universe, Viva Pinata...
    dec....
    brothers in arms, Wireless Headset

Total = 15 games, 2 accessories

For the PS3

Nov...
    PS3 console, Warhawk, Resistance Fall of Man, Tekken 6, Full Auto 2

Total = 4 games, 1 console

For the Wii

Oct/Nov....
    Wii console, Zelda : TP, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Excite truck, Trauma Centre, Wii Sports, Monkey Ball, Mario Galaxy (ok probably not this year), Metriod Prime Coruption, elebits...

Total = 9 games, 1 console

So grand total of 2 consoles, 2 accessories, 28 games in the next 4 months..... And yet i know in my heart of hearts only 2 or 3 of those titles will be played to completion.......

I know it's sad.... But it makes me happy, i think :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I dunno. This is sounding more like a "break your videogame habit and get a life" situation. When you're spending money that isn't yours to pay for games and consoles and they take on more importance than your girlfriend etc... well, I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by rethinking your priorities.

I don't know enough about you to judge, but, i'll make the assumption. Forget the PS3. Put down the videogames, GO OUTSIDE. It's beautiful. :)

Cheers

5. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds fair right but I'm far from one that stays in and play console all day(So this is not it)...I'm very active in everything..I like games but like MRU said it only holds me for so long until something else I see.....Some of those things I mention was past experience as a teenage...but now I'm a man and I handle my money better to know my limits on things....this is not the case at hand.

The point here is should I bother with the new systems because they might become collectors items for me..how long will they hold my attention..:)

Bless

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Not here it ain't - wind and rain... yippie...

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But the resolution is crap :p :D :D Seriously the real-village sim outside has some really badly designed characters, and very little action - other than the occasional rampaging cow level :D :D :D

Yeah that's how i'm think now. If i hadnt written that list I probably wouldnt of realised how much stuff i'm buying and think that money could be spent on other things. I'm not getting into debt, any money i spend on gaming is entirely disposable, but it is wasteful i guess..... I'll see.......

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:- actually reading through my first response I think i see what it is... We are after that feeling, that joy, that feeling of being alive, that ethereal merriment, that adrenalin rush we got as kids playing the latest comps / consoles ...

I think that's why we tire of games and spend more time in the pursuit and purchase of new ones, because the closest we get to that feeling we got as kids in the buying of the console, the newness of opening it up and booting it for the first time, ...... only that feeling is short lived and soon we are left moribund and looking for somthing else.... We get more fun and andrenalin rush from the weeks of speculation and reading posts, here, there and everywhere rather than from playing it in the end....

I dont think we are ever going to get as excited again, and we might have to face it..... gaming as we knew & felt, is lost to us - forever.... that's saddens me, but kinda makes sense..... :( :(

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was dead proud when I first said that in the HD arguments of yesteryear.

Anyways! to the original meat of the topic - I have done the same. I've owned (or through parents etc) every major console since birth. And recently I have hit a stage where I'm playing less. I think it's since I started working too. Games and everything are just getting too much when I have much bigger and better things to buy. First car, first house, some business ideas that need initial funding etc.

I'm thinking this will be it with the Wii. Probably be the last console I'll buy. I don't plan on buying many games. I mean I have about 20 GC games, 1 I still play. I think I'm only going to buy the up-most incredible games from now on.

I had fun with games but I'm 20 now. There are better things I can be doing around here. Cycling, swimming, drawing, short courses... all that nonsense. I mean just the other day I went up to the moors for a run, a huge fog descended, I waited a bit playing my GB Micro. It lifted so I ran back home, gale force winds and torrential rain blowing against me, just running as fast as I could. I never felt so alive. A game will never match that feeling. Pity it's a sunny day today :p

I like an fully agree with what MRU said about gamers trying to reach back to them initial gaming days. Very good point.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I thought I was the only one....so this is what it feels like....when doves cry (its from the simpsons btw)

I know whatcha mean, I buy games and play them non stop but I never seem to beat them... then i get bored and they collect dust, but I can't STAND renting games! I dunno why....

But! my habit may be broken....I have Gears of War preordered (have since E3) and 2/3's paid off. I have 500 bucks coming from the government due to an income tax fudge up on their part so that will go towards my PS3 (if i can find one :() but now i havea girlfriend who leeches my money from me and I have university to help pay for so I must be very select in the games I buy, gone are the good old days of 4 games in two weeks (GTA:SA, MGS3, Halo 2 and HL2, that was nuts)

When FFXII comes outon October 31st it will be my big test to see if I can stick to my only-getting-GoW-&-PS3+Resistance-until-xmas plan!

10. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

wow, i'm completely different. I still go back and play all my old games. I own 10 gc games and I still play 9 of them (exception being wind waker, I just don't find it any fun). I still play my n64 regularly with all 15 of the games I have for it too. I only get the absolute best games for each systems, and they're all so good in my view, I love going back and replaying them.

though i'm lucky if I touch a game once a month given how busy I am with school and having a life etc...

11. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I didn't get into videogames again until the N64. I've been a Nintendo fanboy ever since. (But I did buy an Xbox). Before that, my parents had an old Atari.

12. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You really think so....I'm hoping so. I like the way the big N is trying something new and all that but do you think it will wear thin?
    I have the DS and sometimes the games are entertaining but then again it wears thin...we will have to see.

Well if I do happen to stop playing video games again at least I was in the era of the NES and PS2.

Bless

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I got thinking about this thread whilst in the shower (welcome to my funky world). Realised something, probably quite major.

Imagine 25 years from now and where gaming will be. When they think back to the pioneer years of NES to 360. The way I see it there has only been a handful of games that are going down in history

Super Mario Bros. - the first major console game
    Tomb Raider - exploration in 3D
    Gran Tourismo - racing sim extraordinaire
    Ocarina of Time - the most perfect (or voted as such) game so far

With the leap to 3D done now, what's next? If history meant anything we should be going onto the next step (which had normally taken 2 generations previously - NES, SNES... N64, Cube...). I suppose the thing now, seeing we're at the peak of visual performance (short of virtual reality), what is the next step? the Wii?

14. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Bless, ihave watched you on theseforums and you seem 10x more affectionate twords the wii.Bless.....just dont get the ps3, its over priced and you have no use for it, the wii is much funner (i know funner is not a word but neither is Concole:p ) So dont waste your money Bless.Just dont.

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Of ourse the wii is the next step!

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not sure. that's why I had a question mark ;)

Generally controllers have come out to match new visual dimensions. 2D loved the Dpad, 3D loved the analogue stick. It sorta seems like the Wii is the next step, but an unimportant one to virtual reality, with augmented reality instead.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I hope it won't wear thin...I'm ready to try the new gaming way of Wii, if you don't like it, then I'd say sit on the side line of gaming for a while, until a new way of gaming comes along..if it does

18. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

do it riggz, I support anyone getting a console. It may seem like a lot now, but its a one time investment for the system. After that, if a game comes out that you want, which there will definitely be a few for each system, you can just go out and get it and not worry much about it. Just do it and don't think about it.

19. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

honestly I am in the same boat as you, i bought the 360 and regretted it. I am a gamer who barley plays anything...besides halo thats why i didnt sell it...

I say buy something that you may actually use next...or pay off some credit cards man. haha

20. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

well to be honest...I think out of all the consoles I have owned...pretty much all of them...I have only beat , all the donkey kongs on snes and a few games on 360...and I have a LOT of games and consoles...

I feel the gamerscore helps a little.

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Oh yeah, my confession: I've had NSMB for DS for like two months now, and I haven't beaten it. It's hard, and I give up. :D I feel lame, since so many people said it was so easy..

22. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

keep hackin away at it. You will get it. I didn't have any trouble with that game, but I can see where a lot of people could get frustrated.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

:eek: No Final Fantasy?!

Hehe, yeah... the GamerPoints really make you completist, don't they :p

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Actually I forgot to add FF1. The game that launched the genre, at least to everywhere outside of Japan. I mean think about it, there are so few games that are going down in history.

Oh no worries. I can beat Mario Bros 3 with my face closed, speed runs in Mario World are nothing to me etc... but I did struggle on NSMB! Especially beating bosses with mini Mario. Oh yea I can also beat R-Type 2 and 3 :p some games just get ya!