Confessions of a Mac Genius

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 8, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    God that guy sounds like a jerk. I can see why Apple doesn't want them talking to reporters.

3. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This guy is Apple PR's worst nightmare. He sounds like the dick I think somoe tech people are. Just as they laugh at us, I usually find myself laughing at them.

4. macrumors newbie

I remember when I was 19...

5. Moderator emeritus

yellow

He's just saying what a lot of information technology professionals think everyday.

To me it looks like he's burned out and needs a vacation or a job change.

If your job revolved around tons of repetitive mindless stupid questions every day.. don't you think you'd be a prick too?

6. macrumors 65816

Rojo

I don't know if I'd say he sounds like a jerk, per se (except for maybe being a little mean about people who might be a bit computer naive). He just sounds really, really bitter about the stupid people he has to deal with on a daily basis. I know lots of people in the service industry, including two Apple store employees (one of which is a Genius), and they ALL have a lot to legitimately bitch about.

There's a lot to learn from this, and people DO need to treat MG's, waiters and the like like human beings if they expect to get any kind of respect or good service. Having been to the Genius Bar a few times myself, I've always had GREAT service -- but then I've always been patient and treated the people who've helped me quite well. I've also seen customers who come in screaming from the get-go, or acting all priveleged, and they sometimes get the "sarcasm" that's talked about here. But that's the worst I've seen, and it's usually directed at customers who deserve it. If it was me as a MG, and someone talked to me the way some of these customers do, I would probably fly off the handle. It's amazing that some of these MG's have so much patience, considering that they deal with that kind of crap on a daily basis...

7. macrumors 6502a

I liked it... He is being honest. People don't like honesty. They prefer people who lie into their face.

Don't ask for a free repare, if your macbook fell in the water while having a bath. :D

8. macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Any1 want to post the article here? I'm at work, and the internet block doesnt let me visit that site, and I'm reaaaaalllllllyyyyyy bored here :cool:

9. macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I worked in retail for 3 years, and yes, people can be rude, and I can imagine the stress of working as a Mac Genius, but I think this guy takes it too far...Whenever somebody talked back to me or gave me a hard time, I'd stay calm and sweet talk them the best I could. Why get worked up about somebody you don't even know?

10. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Nothing that surprising. This is pretty common in menial service jobs. I worked in telesales for quite a few months and we all reverted to exactly the same kind of bitter, vicious humour in dealing with how tedious every customer interaction became. I ended up saying some really nasty things (through the veil of sarcasm, of course), as did the person on the other end of the phone.

The customer doesn't really want to be speaking to the staff as they just wish their machine was doing what they bought it to do. The staff doesn't want to be speaking to the customer as they find their job pretty boring and would rather be doing something more enjoyable. If we expect both sides to behave impeccably to each other we are living in fantasy land.

11. macrumors 65816

Rojo

I'm just surprised that being a Mac Genius is apparently a low-paying job.
    Perhaps if they were better paid, they would have more patience with rude customers? :confused:

12. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I believe the average starting salary is just under $35k/year.

13. macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Typical tech attitude, but poor judgement I think to align the interview with his company. Is he telling it like it is? Absolutely. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if he gives great service. Are MG's underpaid? I know so. Are the customers hard to deal with? These are often people at their near worse behavior. My fellow tech's and I slam on users all day long behind closed doors and that's healthy, imho. But - to actually do an interview (anonymous or not) which will go public, and speak of customers in a denigrating way is just bad judgement.

This is why many customers preface their interactions with "you'll think I'm a moron.. but," or worse yet just outright lie to the tech over a completely non-warranty related issue. Nobody wants to be judged. Trust me people, as a veteran technician I can tell you- we don't care. We might grumble over how stupid -people- can be- but name me a profession that doesn't.

That tech is no exception- most of the tech's I've ever known have at least some degree of superiority complex. It comes with the job. We're generally underpaid and as powerless as anyone else in society- until it comes to technology. Then they're in our arena. It doesn't matter if they make 10 figures ot what hat they put on for work, they need our expertise. It doesn't take long for us to realize this and begin to treat people who treat us poorly with equal disdain, regardless- no amplified by their relative station in life. Do we give less than optimal service to complete jerkoffs? The good tech's will make every effort to make even the worse customers relax and look at the relevant issues. The great tech's are those who are able to truly rise above all the human misery and give the customer a positive experience one way or another. It's all about getting the customer off their emotional trip and back into the cold hard world of break/fix. It's about letting them know, "look, here's what we're dealing with- this is how long it will take and this is how much it will cost and no amount of whining will change this," BUT rather than being condescending we do so as would a doctor to a patient, or an accountant his client. That's the essence of a great technician- making them understand the facts in a completely neutral way- no ego involved, just two people and a problem that needs a fix. As progress is made it's often your worse customers who end up being the most grateful.

THEN and only then you go back into the lab or back room or cave and queitly laugh at the day's customers- but knowing you helped every one of them. Life sucks, get a helmet, but don't be assume your technican is a double talking weanie and a complete ass, we're not by necessity. There's a few power trippers out there, of course, and I'm not even sure the interviewee was one of them- but I still think it was in bad taste to even mention his employer. Hopefully people read it with a grain of "MG's are people too," rather than "Apple employees are rude and condescending."

edit - and no I don't work in an Apple store.

14. macrumors regular

Basically, the dude is an ass-hat.

That about sums it up. :)

15. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Finally, the perfect cure for insomnia.

That's the other kind of sarcasm.

:rolleyes:

16. macrumors 68040

tech4all

It was a good read. But I didn't like most of the tone of the "Genius". If I hadn't gone to a MG before, I'm not sure I would want to go after reading that. Although some of the stuff they said was true and common sense. It's a good thing they didn't ID themselves....not sure if Steve would be happy reading that.

17. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, I've been doing this for 20 years now.

I just came back from a client's Christmas party where they introduced me to people as "Trevor, who rescues us and keeps us running" and gave me a "Rescue Squad" action figure. ;) (They publish over 3,000,000 issues of magazines per year, I've been with them since Day One on their first mag.)

Days like these make up for the &&@*y ones, But treat customers right, and there are very few &&@*y days.

18. macrumors 68030

Well I can say in general I try very hard to be nice to people in customer service because I understand they are not the company. I worked at McDonald's in high school. And some people were just very rude. They would get furious if their food took a long time. The rudest people were the ones in the drive-thru who were served the fastest. The social structures--like a business and customer--create behavior that is not human-like.

Take an example of a man who shouted obscenities at me because his food was late at the drive thru. If I were to imagine him over at my house for dinner and the food was going to take an extra ten minutes, I hardly think he would have been so cross with me.

Or to be even closer, say it was a very expensive French restaurant, I doubt he would have been as cross.

But companies create an expectation--for McDonald's that the food is fast.

Apple creates quite high expectations as well. Apple products are sold as being superior--that's what the whole Mac campaign is about. And Geniuses--in name alone are sold as being superior-- http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Of course, none of this is reflective of the fact that people are people.

Imagine that your best friend built you a computer. And you had a problem with it. You would probably be more worried about not offending the friend, and the friend would probably be more worried about not dissapointing you, than if you were an Apple customer and your friend were Apple, to continue my earlier analogy.

19. macrumors regular

A is jump

that guy isnt a Mac Genius. End of Story

and if he is... he should quit his job. Any time you are in Service, you have to deal with people.

my experiences with the mac geniuses in San Francisco were always good. they were always on schedule or close to it, and they were always polite and helpful. even to people customers who were being rude.

then again is this story supposed to be funny or something?

20. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

before you jump all over this guy and label him a jerk stop and think for a second. Would you like the conversations you have about work over friday night drinks put up on the net?

Everyone talks bad about their jobs at some point, even if you have the best job in the world you still need to let off steam and say things that you'd prefer your employer/clients/customers don't hear about.

21. macrumors 68030

I got the impression that this was an interview he wanted to be released. The questions were ones like what would you like the public to know, etc. It's also been pointed out it could be fake.

22. macrumors member

The guy sounds cocky and arrogant but how many people here, who work in user-support in any way, can honestly say you haven't encountered some arrogant, blame the IT guy, blame the machine, blame anything except me, it's-all-your-fault user who you'd really like to belittle and humiliate?

I'm of an age now where I can smile sweetly, massage their egos, not take it personally, be diplomatic enough to gently imply they MIGHT have something to do with the problem without getting their backs up etc etc.

The guy's young - he'll learn.

23. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I work in retail and while i agree it's a problem when you get ******* customers, but the fact is you are being paid to put up with it. You don't have the option of choosing who to help, when, and under what speed or ability you perform your job. You receive a wage as an understood agreement to work courteously and efficiently to help customers with what they come to you for.

Random MG: People are stupid, you chose to work a job that you have to help lots of them. They are selfish and want what's best for them and like to complain about what they don't like and think is wrong. Suck it up and deal with it.

24. macrumors G3

Sesshi

Sounds like someone who could let free with his frustrations since he was guaranteed anonymity. Doesn't sound entirely unreasonable really. From his later answers I'd say he is a Genius. The few times I've been to the Genius Bar in London's store and overheard people talking to the Genii, there have been some jawdropping moments in their ignorance about service in general and even possibly common sense - not just computers. I'm surprised they do reply with such grace.

I work in the service industry but I'm in the fortunate position of being able to pick my clients from a waiting list - and as a result I take absolutely no BS. Due to the nature of my business I do expect clients to be prima donnaish but if I have a problem with them I immediately tear up the contract. I have done it a few times.

25. macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

exactly. I think it would have been just as effective to have said he's a tech at a popular computer store chain. All this did was irritate people toward Apple when it would have otherwise been a harmless story.