Configuration in-store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlackSoUl, Oct 20, 2006.

1. BlackSoUl macrumors member

Hey I'm going to New York in December and I'm wondering if they do configurations in the Apple retail stores! I'm thinking about getting 100gb HD and 1gb RAM! Some people have said they do this others said they don't so I'm REALLY confused!! haha

If they don't, can anyone tell me where to get really cheap RAM for MBs in UK please?

Thanks! Ben

2. Brian W macrumors newbie

The store here in Chicago on Michigan Avenue said that I had to order custom configurations online.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Historically, Apple Stores have stocked only the base models of their Macs. However, many stores have added a few popular custom-built options for MacBooks to their standard availability. I believe the current "ultimate" models are the white 2 GHz one with 1 GB RAM and 80 GB hard drive and the black one bumped to 1 GB RAM. If you want anything else, you'll either have to order it online (can be done in-store) or do the upgrades yourself (both RAM and hard drive are user-installable).

I recommend OWC and DMS for RAM, but some people have had success with cheaper brands, often available from Newegg. Just be sure that whoever you buy your RAM from has a good warranty/guarantee/return policy in case it has problems.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I was at the NYC 5th Ave store in July and I remember they had a few different configs available. They won't do anything custom in store, but I think they had the black with 1GB and 100GB HDD but I'm not certain on the drive. I think they had more RAM on the white 2GHz but definitely not a bigger HDD. Hopefully someone from NY can tell you.

5. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

Thanks for the posts!

As I'm not really promised a config. when I get there Ive decided to do this:

MB - £585 [$1099]
    RAM - £103 [1gb - crucial]
    HD - £92 [80gb - Mac:Upgrades]

Means I have some money left over for other stuff in NY :]

Do these prices seem fair to you?

Thanks!!

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Most people would recommend bumping more than just 20 GB if you're going to swap out the hard drive. It's easy to do, but it does involve some work to get the system back up and running...most people find it more beneficial to jump straight to something 100 GB or higher. It does cost more money though!

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

You might want to check out eBuyer.com for cheaper 2.5" HDs.

I'd agree that it's worth splurging for a larger HD, it'll save you in the long run.

David

8. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I've decided to go up to 100gb
    Does this seem reasonable and/or has anyone had any problems with the seller?

Click

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's a great drive. However, while the item title says that it's a SATA drive, the specs say that it's ATA. You'll need to clarify which one it actually is, since only a SATA drive will work in your MB.

10. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

oh that's probably my fault for searching for ATA
    although the 'config. your macbook' page says ATA :S lol

anyway, thanks :]

11. jeff127 macrumors member

Have you remembered to add tax to the MB price?

On $1099 I think you'll have something in the order of $100 of tax unless it has changed since I last went there.

12. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

No because i brought the macbook with me from England, right? ;) haha

13. jeff127 macrumors member

Oh sorry I must have mis-read the thread because I thought you were going to NY and wanting to buy a non-stock MB whilst over there.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Crucial is quite expensive for RAM, try PCWorld (£80 per GB) or dabs or something...

15. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Orca Logic is ~£70/GB.

16. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

I think what he was refferring to is that you need to pay sales tax when you go into the store at the register .. at the time of pruchase. NYC I beleive is 7% sales tax. You are refferring to your duty tax you have to pay when bringing the unit back to London with you. If you plan on evading the duty taxes when you bring it back dont under estimate them. There are labels on the box you will buy the unit in which will specifiy whether it was for sale here or in Europe. They will look for those. I have been with a few people on trips to London and saw them catch this on one or two of the people I was with. TSA and Customs dont like to be lied to. LOL

Yes you will need to pay the sales taxes at the register though so plan for more than just 1099.99

Kevin

17. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'm going to PC World today so I'll take a look at both :]

How important is it to upgrade straight away? I'm going to NY December 8th and I'm thinking of getting the upgrades after chistmas so I have more money for other things... I'm just thinking it'd be difficult transfering everything on to new memory?

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The PC World price is online only so buy it online to "Collect@Store" it is £5 more/gb if you just go in store. You want PC2-5300 SODIMM's for the Macbook.

If you are replacing the hard drive it will be difficult to transfer the data but you should back up anyway (as you can get a 300GB Portable HD for under £100) making that not too bad.

19. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Isn't the 7% sales tax included in the $1099?! It says nothing about this on the website? :S
    And 7% isn't that much anyways

Also I'm not planning on taking the box home with me so they have no proof that I didn't bring the laptop with me - I'm posting receipts and guarantee home!

Thanks

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The sales tax is not included in the $1099...in the US, sales tax isn't added until you get to the register/checkout.

And I believe the NYC sales tax is 8.375%.

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You could always re-configure your flight thru Northern VA via Dulles International Airport.

Take a taxi to Tyson's Corner Apple Store 20 minutes away and pay 4.5% sales tax.

There's also something like 275 stores under one roof at Tyson's Corner

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, sales tax is never included in the item price in the US, it's always extra. The only thing I can think of where all taxes are included in the price is gasoline.

23. Egaas macrumors newbie

Re: RAM

I've always been a fan of Mushkin RAM, so I bought it for my MacBook too off of NewEgg. It's working out great.

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Datamem.com and OWC (macsales.com) ship international if that helps.

Both are top rated suppliers of Apple Guaranteed lifetime RAM.