Configure new browser as primary

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by StudSinister, Sep 26, 2005.

1. StudSinister macrumors newbie

My question is simple. How do I configure my computer (Mac OS X 10.4.2) to use Camino or Opera as the primary browser instead of Safari? It seems different from setting an application to be the default for a specific extension since the many extensions you can find on the web typically may not be on your local machine.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

open up safari, go into preferences and you can change it there.

i believe Camino (at least in the 1.01a build) asks you and allows you to change it from within its preferences as well.

3. StudSinister thread starter macrumors newbie

HTF did I miss that...???
    Thanks.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha, no worries, happens :D

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think it's pretty easy to miss since it's in the Safari preferences instead of the system preferences. Apple's making you use Safari even when you're switching to another browser...hmm...

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How is Apple "forcing" you to use Safari if you have the same functionality in Camino?

7. Gerg macrumors regular

I think he meant you have to use Safari to go into preferences and make the change.

Frankly, I just figured this out last week. For the life of me I couldn't find the preference anywhere. Safari was the LAST place I would have expected to find it. I finally used "Help" and got the necessary tip to make the change.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Sorry, it was just a really bad half-joke I guess? I meant that it was sort of odd to have the default browser settings within an application, not in the system preferences. And not all browsers have the same functionality built in like Camino does.