configuring 5 button mouse for free

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by howard, Oct 30, 2005.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

is there any free software out that can configure a 5-button mouse? my hp mouse's extra buttons don't work with os x right away. mainly i just want the middle mouse to expose. any info would be helpful

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Os X

I use logitech software for my mx1000, but prior to that I used multi-button mice and configured them through OS X, specifically to use the extra buttons for expose.

Under system pref, dashboard & expose, there are dropdown windows - just checked, and it goes up to mouse button 32.... may have to play around to find which is the right number of mouse button

4. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

grapes:

i've tried usb overdrive but i can't find a setting for expose. if you know how to configure it let me know.

scotty:

for some reason all i have in the drop down menu is secondary mouse and middle mouse. and middle mouse doesn't do anything.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I haven't used it in a while. You used to be able to set a button to the function keys. Can't you set the button to F9, F10, or F11?

6. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I've configured my Logitech MX510 with USB Overdrive so that one of the buttons activates Expose Show All Windows. Just map the button to keystroke F9.

If you find it's interfering with your gaming and constantly loading quicksaves (as F9 does in many games), you can set application specific profiles with USB Overdrive. For this, I would map my Expose mouse button to an obscure keyboard key that I would otherwise not use, such as some of the NumPad keys, or Home/End.

7. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

cool, i got it working.

i was initially having problems cause when i tryed to press F9 and configure it it would just expose, so i turned the expose key off and then was able to configure it.

thanks for the help

8. Aliquis macrumors regular

Aliquis

There's another app, search macupdate for it. Supposed to have profiles that are super customizeable.

9. mpw Guest

What Mac are you using? I just paired my BT 5button mouse with my iMac and it just worked. I think I just assigned buttons through the preference screen for Exposé/Dashboard. I notice that the options aren't there from the same menu on my iBook (no mouse paired or plugged) I'd double check the iMac but I can't bothered to get off the sofa right now.

10. tane883 macrumors newbie

it works!

hey guys i was looking to solve this issue too, because i have a 5 bt mouse with a win install but nothing for mac.. so i install usb overdrive yesterday and it work!!! so here i tell u how it work the expose....

i have a wacom tablet and is the same stuff (thats why i figure it out)...

in usb overdrive pick in the list comand KEYSTROKE... then in the type section (where u type the function) with the command :apple: hold, press F9 or F8 (the one u configure in expose n spaces) and will work, remember the key is the one u already configure in expose n spaces pane....

i just take 2 minutes t make it work... thnx for discuss this issue, because i solve mine.. u save my money jejejeje ... :)

11. slickvicpxx macrumors newbie

Thanks howard

That was what I wanted (I'm not a gamer).
    Mac makes everything so easy.
    My experience is that if it seem difficult, you're either doing it wrong, or the device just doesn't do it.