Configuring airport extreme for telewest supplied base station

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Brod, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Brod macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2004
    I have no idea how to do this - the base station is a Netgear ME102 as supplied by blueyonder. I am unable to acheive any communication between it and the airport extreme card in my ibook. On the BS there is an SSID code and a supplied passphrase - could it be that I need to enter these somewhere? Can anybody help?
  2. Calliander macrumors member

Jan 7, 2004
    Long Beach, CA
    Re: Configuring airport extreme for telewest supplied base station

It doesn't look like that WAP is Mac friendly. Initial setup is achieved on a Win32 machine using USB. It might be possible to find an OS X version of the software and do it that way.

Your ISP might have put the ID and passphrase in for you ahead of time. Some things to check:

System Preferences
    Check the Network pane to see if 'Airport' shows up when you pull down the "Show" menu. If not, select 'Network Port Configurations' from that menu. If Airport is grayed out, it's not seeing the card. If it's there but not checked, check it.

Airport Menu Extra
    Do you have the four bars of the Airport icon in the menu bar near the clock and sound? If not, the above advice might fix it or you could navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ and double-click the file "".

From that menu, if the card is recognized, it should have either the network name in the list, or you can select to join other network. If you do that, try the SSID and the passphrase.

Also, just because it's happened before, I need to ask: What kind of iBook do you have?

Hope I helped! :)
  3. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    My thought is that if the router came stock, WiFi is not active. If the router has an ethernet port, plug into that. And then I believe the default IP for Netgear is Load that into your browser and you should get a config screen where it will ask you for a login.

Of course, for the SSID and password, you can enter those in the Network System Preference where you can select "Join Specific Network" as the SSID may not be public.

If you have another way to get online, you could try to find the Netgear manual if they didn't sent you one.

Good luck...