configuring gmail with apple mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhb1899, Oct 5, 2005.

1. rhb1899 macrumors member

Oct 4, 2005
    I know that there was a thread sort of concerning apple mail, but I have a question that isn't exactly part of that topic...
    I set up apple mail to work with my gmail, and it works great.
    However, my apple mail not only receives messages from other people, but it also gets copies of the messages that I send from my gmail account.
    I use my mac at home, but in the office, I have a different computer and oftentimes I'll send messages from the actual gmail account.
    When I got home today, and I checked my apple mail, I had a TON of messages in my inbox, all of which were from me that I had sent earlier from the same account.
    I've looked at all the preferences for both gmail and apple mail, and I can't seem to disable this.
    did I do something wrong in the setup?
    thanks for the help, if anyone has any ideas...
  2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Ditto on this. I've had the same problem and can't seem to find a solutiong anywhere.
  3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    In MS Outlook (iMac hasn't arrived yet!) I've set up a rule to automatically place email from myself, to the Sent Items. The advantage is that I have a copy of the emails I've sent from Gmail on my PC.

However, I've not seen the 'disable copying email to yourself' option in Gmail.
  4. rhb1899 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 4, 2005
    yeah, I tried setting up a sent folder in apple mail, and the emails would go to the folder, but they'd ALSO go to my inbox...
  5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    GMail Notifier for Mac OS X

I haven't gotten GMail to work in Mail but I use this little program called GMail Notifier, it'll tell you if you have GMail or not and sits on the top of your screen in the white menu bar. And the best part is, it's official! :D

Download it for Mac or PC here: