Configuring MX1000 Laser Mouse Buttonms w/ LCC..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cubbie5150, Mar 10, 2007.

1. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Hello all, I am new to the Mac world (just rec'd my MBP last Tuesday).. Loving everything so far. Anyway, I am using Logitech MX1000 laser mouse, & I'd like to configure the buttons to operate the same way as they do on my Windows machine. I googled, and finally found out how to make my scroll whell button middle-click (for opening links in new tabs in Firefox), but can anyone here help me w/ the following?

1. I'd like to make the back/foward buttons move me back & forward a page in Firefox (these buttons even work to go back/forward in Explorer windows in XP, but I'm guessing that won't work in Mac Finder windows?).

2. Can I make the middle button (between the back/forward buttons) close down the foremost window/application like I can in XP?

That's it.. I do have the OS X version of Logitech Control Center installed, but in typical Logitech fashion, the Mac version of the software doesn't seem as configurable...and I can't figure out what click/key stroke/command combinations will get me my desired result... Thanks for any tips..

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

In the LCC, click on the up/down arrows and it will give you a menu of what type of things you can do with the mouse button, such as keyboard shortcuts. (screenshot below)

Some keyboard shortcuts you could use with your mouse: (Safari at least, I don't have FireFox installed)
    Command + W = close tab
    Command + Shift + W = close window

Attached Files:

3. slicedbread macrumors regular

1) Use Command+Left arrow and Command+Right arrow as keystrokes that are bound to the back/forward buttons of the mouse in LCC. However in finder its Command+Up/Down for navigating folders, so the same key binding doesnt translate directly from FF to finder. If you must have the functionality, you will need some other program other than LCC to let you bind different keystrokes to the same button depending on the application. Steermouse is one that does this.

2) In Windows I used to bind the middle button to closing tabs, but a direct middle button press is dashboard in OSX. You should bind Command+W (as iBookG4user said) to the middle button to close windows. This is common throughout OSx though, so Command+W will close windows for all applications you come across.

4. cubbie5150 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mate!! I uninstalled LCC & am trying Steermouse; I just couldn't figure figure out what keystrokes to use.. I appreciate it..

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Actually you can add programs to have customized keystrokes for different applications in LCC. You just need to click on the "+" next to global settings and find your program.

Attached Files:

6. skwij macrumors 6502

I've never been able to config back/forward using a Marble mouse and lcc. I use the default cruise setting, and right-click for back and forth. I also use the CMD-left/right to go back and forth.

Whenever I'm now in Windows the back/forward settings drive me nuts.

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

It's an amazing mouse. I use mine for everything, with different configurations for general use/final cut/motion.. everything. I just have one problem with it. In C4d and shake, you use the ctrl and apple keys, combined with mouse drags for different camera functions. I'm using the Logitech software, and I can't map a button to just one of these modifiers. Can Steermouse do this?

8. slicedbread macrumors regular

I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to get a mouse button bound to just command/option/control? Because if thats what you mean, then yes steermouse can do this.

You can bind a button to 'none' and then apply a modifier (such as Cmd) - the button will act just like the Cmd button then.