Configuring Virtual PC on Mac for Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danskimanuk, May 10, 2004.

1. danskimanuk macrumors newbie

May 10, 2004
    Hey people,

Currently trying to install my own copies of Windows OS's to a virtual drive using Virtual PC 5 on Mac OSX. I have a DOS image, that gets me into a command prompt mode. But I wish to install other OS's i.e win95/XP. How is this achieved?

How do I access my mac's drive to run setup on the windows disc??, and what other processes are necessary?

Any help (in the form of a step by step idiots guide) would be hugely appreciated!!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Here's how you set up a new OS in Virtual PC: first, you need to create a new virtual drive to host the new OS. Then, insert the Windows CD into your Mac's CD drive and wait for it to mount on the Mac desktop. Start Virtual PC, select the blank virtual drive as the image to start, then click "Start Up". When prompted whether you want to boot from the CD, follow the instructions to boot from the CD (usually press any key). Once VPC boots off the Windows install CD, install Windows to the virtual drive through the Windows install program. After that, just follow normal procedure for a new Windows installation (reboot the virtual machine, complete configuration of Windows, update Windows, test new PC).