confirmation of 3Ghz from SJ,...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Falleron, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, what I am looking for is confirmation from Steve Jobs that the 3Ghz will not be here any time soon! Last year he announced he would be at 3Ghz. I understand its not possible. Fine. What I want is some reassurance that it will be a whole product cycle before they get released! Not too much to ask for in the circumstances. Hopefully WWDC will give us this info. I know that there has been 1 apple guy say the above. I want to hear it from SJ though.

What do you think about the lack of 3Ghz. I am only interested becuase I have waited for the "3Ghz" + now it appears it will not arrive. Will probably have to get the 2.5Ghz version.

2. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Why are you waiting on the .5Ghz? Is it that critical? Looks like Apple would do a lot more business if easy CPU upgrades were available.

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

To be honest, I dont "need" the .5Ghz. Just after being told thats what they were going to do I waited. My concern is that they will try and get to 3Ghz as soon as possible. maybe release a top end model in september? Who knows. All I know is that if I buy a new computer I want at least 6 months where I have the fastest computer. Its all Psychological.

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if you saw the new post about IBM and their PowerTune technology, i don't think a dual 3.0 G5 or a G5 powerbook are all that far off. basically the processor can cycle all the way down to 1/64th frequency in 3 clock cycles, dropping the heat output except under extreme computation.

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Well, whatever happens I am going to wait until after the WWDC stuff has settled down before I order a new PowerMac (assuming no signs of new powermacs). As I said above, I expect SJ to at least explain why there is no 3Ghz G5. That will be good enough for me.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll unfortunately have to miss WWDC, as I have class that day...but I'll be looking for Apple to keep the keynote on their site for full replay. I want to hear what Steve has to say about it as well. Plus, watching all the events happen is so much more exciting than reading up about it.

7. synthetickittie macrumors regular

when apple released the new powermacs they also put out a statement. It explained why they would not make it to 3ghz "for a while" or somethin like that.

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The WWDC event won't be broadcast in real time anyway - I'm sure Apple will have it available for weeks!

At least some of the posters can admit to the "psychological" aspect of 3Ghz. Do you want to have the fastest machine for 6 months - or do you need a new Powermac? If you need a computer - get one now. If Steve said, "The 3+Ghz machines will be released on December 14th" - that would be terribly stupid. Apple doesn't make promises for when their current products will be updated.

The whole "3Ghz by next year" was accurate at the time. IBM f'ed up; Apple had no control over the production of the chips.

9. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Yes. They said that they were not expecting this much difficulty puting a 90nm processor into a computer.

I don't know if Steve will let the topic go untouched, but then again, he might. Maybe he'll make another promise... :rolleyes:

JOD8FY

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I could see Jobs at least mentioning 3 GHz at WWDC - I'm sure people will be expecting some sort of news. If Jobs could at least give us an idea of when 3 GHz will be available, I think that will still be viewed as a positive overall. I think ayone who is slighty knowledgeable in the technical realm will understand and appreciate the engineering difficulties associated with moving to 3 GHz. Then I guess there's always "Joe Public" who doesn't have a clue about anything who will never understand, but what can you do about them?

And to all of you complaining about the 2.5 GHz PMs and wanting a 3 GHz PM, why do you absolutely need that extra 500 MHz? Is it some petty psychological/macho thing, like guys who need big sports cars to compensate for other "inadequacies"? ;) :p

11. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

I have to keep reminding myself that the difference is really 500Mhz x2 Processors

And that seems significant to me

12. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have a Dual 1Ghz G4 Powermac. I dont need a new one exactly. I just have a good oportunity to get an updated machine in the next couple of months.