Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antrabbit

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2005
London, UK
As far as I'm aware (and i could be wrong) USB 1.1 runs at a maximum of 12Mbits/second whereas USB 2.0 is a maximum of 480Mbits/second. You may find using USB 1.1 painfully slow, it depends how often you want to change all the songs on your Nano.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
DeSnousa said:
I thought it was just a firmware?
It's needs to be supported by the hardware inside the device and although you may be able to get dual FW/USB bridges (Maybe, I dunno?) they probably cost more and to be honest it's only mac owners with macs over 2 years old that haven't got USB2. I know it sucks but Apple sells more ipods to windows users than mac users and PCs have had USB2 for ages.

If you have a powermac G4 you can get a PCI card to add USB2 (certain chipsets only - NEC IIRC) to your mac. I have one in mine. Doesn't help much if you have something that doesn't have PCI slots...

Apple dragged it's feet introducing USB2 to macs...

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well this is kind of bad........FW is faster than USB 2.0 :mad:

just hope they don't go away from FW, because FW 800 is WAY faster than USB ;)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Anyone know if there are any USB2 pc cards available that would work in the slot in the older Powerbooks?

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
iGary said:
You have 1.1 - You can transfer, it will be slow.

Charge with your AC adapter.

it's only 2 or 4 Gb and then you are onlyl going to do incremental updates anyway , 1.1 is not going to be that bad.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
gwuMACaddict said:
you could always buy a powered usb hub for like $15...

Plugging a powered USB hub into a USB1.1 port is going to give you, wait for it, USB1.1 speeds. The person you are responding to is talking about the lack of USB2 ports on all but the newest Macs.

However, as I have stated before, and someone alluded to just a few post before yours, it's only 2 or 4 gb. The actual sustained data rate for USB1.1 is at least 1 megaBYTE per second, generally closer to 1.5. Your first sync is going to take about 45-60 minutes, but after that I am assuming that most people are not swapping the entire library out of the iPod, but exchanging a few songs here or there. Say 1gb at most for subsequent syncs. That's only 10-15 minutes, and not all that bad.

Would have rather seen FW, but I suppose the USB only connection keeps costs down and lets them sell to the broadest market, which also keeps costs down.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
mrgreen4242 said:
However, as I have stated before, and someone alluded to just a few post before yours, it's only 2 or 4 gb. The actual sustained data rate for USB1.1 is at least 1 megaBYTE per second, generally closer to 1.5. Your first sync is going to take about 45-60 minutes, but after that I am assuming that most people are not swapping the entire library out of the iPod, but exchanging a few songs here or there. Say 1gb at most for subsequent syncs. That's only 10-15 minutes, and not all that bad.

I wouldn't be so sure.. the 'classic' iPods can carry most or all of most peoples' music collections, so people will probably just make incremental updates to them.

But since the mini & particularly shuffles and nanos are smaller, people can only hold some of their music, and thus are likely to change it more often.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
So if you only have usb 1.0, like i do, even if your willing to put up with slow transfer rates, you still have to buy something extra to charge up the device?

So that means, if i bough this, I bought just the box, i would have no way to actually charge the batteries?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
No - I think you would be able to charge it through the USB 1.1 as long as it is a high-powered USB port. I actually forked over my old G4 tower to my mother for the sole purpose of charging her shuffle, since her Dell came with like ten USB ports of which zero were high-powered.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
davidwes said:
Does the nano come with an ac adapter or do you have to buy that seperate?

The things that come in the box are:

In the Box

• iPod nano
• Earbud headphones
• USB 2.0 cable
• Dock adapter
• QuickStart guide
• CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows and features guide

So yes, as Clay said, separately; you can also charge it via the bus or via a USB or firewire AC adapter from a larger iPod, should you already own one such.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
clayj said:
I guess this is one way to drag people kicking and screaming into the future... planned obsolescence. I'd bet a donut that the next iPod (full-size) will also drop Firewire compatibility.
I'll bet a bearclaw they do not drop Firewire compatibility. Most new PeeCees come with Firewire, and Apple has no reason to drop support...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
ham_man said:
I'll bet a bearclaw they do not drop Firewire compatibility. Most new PeeCees come with Firewire, and Apple has no reason to drop support...
Perhaps. But that's why I'm only willing to bet a donut and not something more valuable, such as a BOX of donuts.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
whooleytoo said:
I wouldn't be so sure.. the 'classic' iPods can carry most or all of most peoples' music collections, so people will probably just make incremental updates to them.

But since the mini & particularly shuffles and nanos are smaller, people can only hold some of their music, and thus are likely to change it more often.

According to Apple, 4gb = ~4000 minutes of music = 66.6 hours. Do you think that people are going to be swapping out 66+ hours of audio media on a regular basis?

As an iPod mini user (4gb) with somewhere between 11 and 18 gbs of audio media (I have a lot of audio books on DVD-R, I've never totaled it all up... 15gb would be a safe bet) I can say I swap MAYBE 500mb a day. Probably less. My music moods, tastes and collection doesn't change all at once. It's gradual, and so are the updates. I see the same pattern on all the people with music collections bigger than their iPods, and I am willing to bet that it's fairly typical.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
mkrishnan said:
The things that come in the box are:

So yes, as Clay said, separately; you can also charge it via the bus or via a USB or firewire AC adapter from a larger iPod, should you already own one such.

Okay, but if i don't already own one, how do you charge the nano with just the items that come in the box? I've never owned an ipod before. will the ipod charge up while being conntect to usb 1?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
davidwes said:
Okay, but if i don't already own one, how do you charge the nano with just the items that come in the box? I've never owned an ipod before. will the ipod charge up while being conntect to usb 1?

If you don't already own a charging brick and don't purchase one, then the only way you can charge it is through the USB port. It should charge through USB1.1 or 2.0, as long as the port is providing sufficient power. It may not work well through un-powered hubs, though, or the passthrough USB port on a keyboard, for instance. It should charge fine if you plug it directly into the USB port on a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.