Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
So....

13034936768621.jpg

A little change in this image for once :p

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
This doesnt change anything. When competing products are announced with other components and features, like HDMI!... they get shunned. But a relatively usless feature like a apple branded 'retina' display get praised to no end as if its the next best thing since sliced bread. And as if such a naming convention is needed... Retina Display? Seriously? but for arrogance it sure is.. i wonder if Apple patented it..

yeah, a high resolution screen is useless. How would a high resolution screen help for video and photo editing at all? :rolleyes:

PeterSharp

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
I've just realized that iPad 3 can play 2K video in native res or 1440p (aka Extreme HD) when zoom in. Full HD is so 2011. I need to download some 1440p or 2k movies and make them iPad friendly. Gotta be ready!

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
This doesnt change anything. When competing products are announced with other components and features, like HDMI!... they get shunned. But a relatively usless feature like a apple branded 'retina' display get praised to no end as if its the next best thing since sliced bread. And as if such a naming convention is needed... Retina Display? Seriously? but for arrogance it sure is.. i wonder if Apple patented it..
You're saying HDMI output, a feature I bet hardly anyone would ever use in practice (Airplay mirroring/wireless screen scaring is a hell of a lot more viable on a tablet, which is obviously handheld and not supposed to have trailing cables) is more important than 4x the pixels on screen, potentially impacting almost everything running on the system? .. Ummmm.

Who cares what it's called, nobody's making a fuss about the name!

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011

uhhh?

What am I going to do with an HDMI port in my iPad except make the device larger?

A bump in screen resolution is a very real and tangible benefit.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
But SO many people have been on here saying such a display will NEVER happen... how can this be??!?

Never happen, I don't think anyone said that. Did many of us say the technology was not available for the iPad II? Yes. Do many of us say, this will probbably cost more than most think? Yes.

Technology moves on. What could not be done last year might be done this year and might be done cheaply next year.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Makes me laugh how some people on here still doubt the retina display, there is WAY too much evidence now. The iPad 3 will have a retina display, period.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
If the iPad 3 has a 2048 by 1536 resolution display, than yes, the iPad 3 will have 264 pixels per inch.

Then it's not quite a "Retina" display. Typical human eyes can see to the point of roughly 300 PPI. I bet you'll still be able to see pixels with the human eye.

Last edited:

shuckit

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
So this is want the MR gang has been up to all day. I was wondering why the rumor mill slowed down for 5 hours. Nice detective work.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm guessing that only the high-end iPads will have retina display.

Will probably be something like:
$499 32gb, $599 64gb, $699 128gb and $999 retina 128gb.

I hope I'm wrong, but retina displays still are too expensive for a $500 device.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Then it's not quite a "Retina" display. Typical human eyes can see to the point of 300 PPI. I bet you'll still be able to see pixels with the human eye.

Depends on viewing distance. iPad is held further from eye than iPhone typically, so iPad 3 likely will still be considered Retina by Apple.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
And it looks like those are REAL pixels, with the full 3 subpixels (RGB) each. Unlike PenTile displays with effectively less than their claimed resolution. Thank goodness Apple has stayed off the OLED corner-cutting bandwagon!

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Depends on viewing distance. iPad is held further from eye than iPhone typically, so iPad 3 likely will still be considered Retina by Apple.

I have perfect vision and I'm young, held my iPhone as close as I could and cannot make out any pixels. Unless the iPad 3 is the same way, it's not retina to me. It's still going to be a great display, don't get me wrong. I just like to point out the technicalities. :p

So down my posts if you want. I don't care :p

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Video and photo editing on an iPad?! LOL! Yeah, maybe for preschoolers.

So your saying that photographers wouldn't want to take an iPad out in the field with them and be able to see VERY high resolution pictures they have just taken and accurately make initial modifications if necessary?

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
Then it's not quite a "Retina" display. Typical human eyes can see to the point of 300 PPI. I bet you'll still be able to see pixels with the human eye.

This has been said countless times but, a Retina Display is not defined by a fixed number of PPI it's about how far away the screen is from you eyes relative to PPI :)

---------

This iPad is going to be amazing! Defiantly will be getting one if it has a Retina Display! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.