CONFIRMED - Lightning connector works on OS X Tiger and Leopard, freaks out on OS 9

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jessica Lares, Oct 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

So, I just tested my iPod Nano on my G3 iBook Clamshell running OS 9, my iMac G4 running Tiger, and my Power Mac G5 running Leopard. Here are my findings: IT WORKS!!!! :D

iTunes detects it, on the G4 and G5. Of course they both say that I need the 10.7 version of it. However, I can see the actual iPod via Disk Mode, and can write to it. And boy is it FAST!

Oh, and Finder freaked out on OS 9 and forced closed. :rolleyes: But you can at least charge it using USB 1.0.

So, basically, we were all pretty wrong about the driver support. All it is is a super fast USB cable (that can push 3GB into the iPod in less than 2-3 minutes!!!!) that's reversed engineered.

So, if you guys want to try and add the compatibility to the older versions of iTunes, it wouldn't hurt.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors P6

Intell

If someone with a jailbroken iOS 6 device would me to, I'll tell you exactly which file needs to be edited to get iTunes to not complain about needing version 10.7.

3. macrumors 6502a

Great :) ! We should get this stickied or something.

4. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

This is good news hopefully someone can mod iTunes 10.6 to work with the new devices.

5. macrumors P6

Intell

iTunes doesn't need to be modified. The device needs to be modified.

6. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

In what way?

7. macrumors P6

Intell

You need to change the minimum requirements to be able to use the device. But it leads to device corruption.

8. macrumors newbie

How do you do that? Does it work with the iPhone 5?

9. macrumors P6

Intell

A jailbreak is needed. But like it said, it will corrupt the contents of the device because iTunes doesn't know how to proper format of the device's data.