Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Directly contradicting a previous claim of projected weak demand for the iPhone 7, Apple has reportedly asked its Asian suppliers to prepare for the highest iPhone production target in "about two years", according to Barron's Asia.

Citing a story in the Taiwanese Economic Daily Times this morning, the financial news publication said Apple has requested between 72-78 million units of the new iPhone, which is much higher than the 65 million handsets that Wall Street analysts previously predicted.

iphone_7_render_mr.jpg

Supply chain sources claim that Foxconn will remain the key manufacturer for Apple's next-gen handset, while competing contractor Pegatron will also be involved in the assembly process. Additionally, it is claimed that both companies are expected to get more market share this year, as they participate in dual camera and glass casing components production in addition to being assemblers.

The glass reference contradicts recent reports by iPhone casing supplier Catcher Technology and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, both of which claim that Apple is planning to use glass for the casing of the 2017 iPhone, in order to differentiate it from aluminum-bodied smartphones on the market.

Earlier this month it was reported that Apple would rely on multiple manufacturing partners to assemble the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus to aim for a smooth launch in September, with Foxconn, Pegatron, and Wistron at the center of the assembly process.

Rumors suggest the iPhone 7 could retain a 6s-like design with a faster TSMC-built A10 chip, slightly larger battery, waterproofing and dustproofing, repositioned antenna bands, no headphone jack, faster Intel LTE chips, and more. Meanwhile, the larger iPhone 7 Plus (or Pro) could have a Smart Connector, dual-lens camera, and 3GB of RAM.

Other rumors surrounding the next-generation smartphones have included a flush camera, touch-sensitive home button, stereo speakers, and wireless charging, but it remains possible that Apple dropped some of those features or chose to include them on the OLED-based iPhone with glass casing rumored to launch in 2017.

Article Link: Conflicting Supplier Report Now Says iPhone 7 Orders Higher Than Expected

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Holy shiitake mushrooms! Another rumor about iPhone 7! That awkward camera placement. Can't get it evenly placed? Those speaker holes? Can't get them smaller? That antenna band... Sheesh, Apple!

Hoping these are all decoys and an all new glass iPhone will be released this year instead.

kyliewylie

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2016
Planet Earth
Analysts keep forgetting about the iPhone Upgrade Program. Since signing up, I am a guaranteed upgrade every year and with this being the first new phone since its inception, demand will be very high. Why not take the newest phone when my monthly charge will remain identical and the only difference in cost to me is a one time charge of tax on the phone?

ZeneticX

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
Great now we have rumours about orders for a device 3 months away from launching

Anything related to MBPs? Supposedly to launch NEXT MONTH. Someone should be able to make up something right?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Analysts keep forgetting about the iPhone Upgrade Program. Since signing up, I am a guaranteed upgrade every year and with this being the first new phone since its inception, demand will be very high. Why not take the newest phone when my monthly charge will remain identical and the only difference in cost to me is a one time charge of tax on the phone?

because you would extend it, and most people wouldn't do that for a nearly-identical and/or subpar phone.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Exactly and while it's not available in the UK from Apple yet the carriers have all opted to provide a service that does the same with the phone being paid off monthly and traded away at the end

Demand could be high. September seems a loooong way off right now.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'm guessing some people just don't know anything but are willing to tell you everything as if it were true.

Reactions: pianophile

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
"KGI Securities"

THIS
says it all, I trust KGI MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more then any other rumour mill! And it makes a lot more sense for suppliers to be expecting low iPhone 7 demand.

Like it may or may not have dual cameras, it may or may not be glass etc etc.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Holy shiitake mushrooms! Another rumor about iPhone 7! That awkward camera placement. Can't get it evenly placed? Those speaker holes? Can't get them smaller? That antenna band... Sheesh, Apple!

Hoping these are all decoys and an all new glass iPhone will be released this year instead.
That's iPhone 6s with removed antenna bands. Keep calm, bruh.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Would be nice of Apple to actually make enough iPhones to meet launch demand for once.

But that would hurt their illusion of scarcity, so...

kyliewylie

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2016
Planet Earth
because you would extend it, and most people wouldn't do that for a nearly-identical and/or subpar phone.

Even if Apple put out a phone IDENTICAL to an iPhone 6s, you wouldn't upgrade and pay roughly 50 bucks for a phone that is new out of the box with zero wear and tear? A battery with ZERO charging cycles? A charging port with no scuffs or impacted lint? A camera with a fresh CMOS sensor? A cable with no bunching or stretching on the end? A set of unused speakers with no pocket lint in the enclosure? I could go on...

We know that Apple has at least been making incremental upgrades YoY. Positioning within the Apple store is that customers return after 12 months and swap out the old phone for a new model for only the cost of tax. Customers remember that because they see great value in it. "50 bucks for a new phone" sounds cheap enough to return to the store after 12 months. It's basic consumer psychology. Demand for the phone will be healthy on the basic premise of trade-in and curiosity.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
How's that on the planet earth though upgrading each year? Hope Apple is recycling them. :)

Reactions: autrefois
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.