Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
I got my new PB in November, and last month I was having problems with the battery so I contacted apple and they sent me a new one - But the person I spoke to said that I should enroll my apple care agreement on the website. I have not purchased the extra three years yet, (I plan to), so I only have the one year at the moment.

Does the one year protection need enrolling, and if so where do I find my enrollment code?

Thanks in advance :)

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
al3000 said:
Does the one year protection need enrolling, and if so where do I find my enrollment code?

Thanks in advance :)

I bought a new Powerbook last month and also had to replace my battery. I didn't have to enroll in anything nor did anyone instruct me to. The 1 year comes with your new Powerbook as soon as you buy it, period.

Either this is something additional or there was a miscommunication. That's my impression of what happened to you at least.

EDIT: I'm starting to think I should advise people who buy new, 15" Powerbooks to ask for a new battery on the spot. Myself and so many others have had to exchange their batteries. :(

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
al3000 said:
I have not purchased the extra three years yet, (I plan to)

You actually only get an extra 2 years when you purchase AppleCare. ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
al3000 said:
Nope. But it is nice to have your product 'registered' (like when you first powered it on-- it should have asked you to register the product w/ contact info and whatnot) because in case you are forgetful, they will send you emails reminding you that your original one year of AppleCare is about to run out. :p

Sometimes Apple will not remind you about your one year warranty from running out, So I would keep the date in mind. If you are going to extend the warranty make sure u give urself about a month before it runs out to allow for any screw ups. Also don't forget, when you get your box from apple make sure you open it and register it with Apple, or your coverage will not be extended!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Macmaniac said:
Sometimes Apple will not remind you about your one year warranty from running out, So I would keep the date in mind. If you are going to extend the warranty make sure u give urself about a month before it runs out to allow for any screw ups. Also don't forget, when you get your box from apple make sure you open it and register it with Apple, or your coverage will not be extended!

I don't think Apple really "knows" when you bought your computer, even if you do the registry thing on start up, so therefore I don't think anyone should be thinking Apple is "going to warn you" when your first year of Applecare is over.

You have to prove to them you bought a new Apple from an authorized dealer in order for Applecare warranty to start on that date. Otherwise, they backdate you to an assumed time period of sale for your model. Your purchase receipt is therefore an important piece of paper, in case they decide that your warranty started three months before you bought the machine because you can't prove it with a receipt.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
California said:
I don't think Apple really "knows" when you bought your computer, even if you do the registry thing on start up, so therefore I don't think anyone should be thinking Apple is "going to warn you" when your first year of Applecare is over.

You have to prove to them you bought a new Apple from an authorized dealer in order for Applecare warranty to start on that date. Otherwise, they backdate you to an assumed time period of sale for your model. Your purchase receipt is therefore an important piece of paper, in case they decide that your warranty started three months before you bought the machine because you can't prove it with a receipt.
I think they do. They scan in the UPC for that machine and it's "purchased" on that day. I've usually seen it on the day after or before though.

Nintendo does the same thing. Their product's UPC label is the s/n for it too.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
California said:

If you buy from Apple directly (online or store) they know exactly when you purchased your mac or iPod. I was suprised when they called me and asked if I wanted to purchase applecare for my iPod. They called a week before the warrenty was up. Good customer service and a good way to increase revenue. I would recommend applecare for mac owners, remember they charge for phone support after 3 months and its not cheap.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Yes, it's nice that Apple reminds you that your warranty is running out. Although, I wouldn't purchase AppleCare directly from the Apple Store unless you are within a few weeks before your 1-year limited warranty expires

Many times you can find AppleCare for your particular model $20 or so under the Apple Store price on eBay or through other vendors.

I just received an AppleCare "warning" for my Mac mini that expires at the end of January. Oddly enough the sales form listed AppleCare for Mac mini at a price of $249 + tax, which is $100 more than Apple or any authorized seller sells it for directly. Hehe. I think I'll pass! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.