confused about wireless

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lazyboy922, Jun 9, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

How exactly does it work? I mean I have dsl right now, so can i just go out and buy an airport base station, hook the dsl up to that and then have wireless?

Sorry this is such a dumb question, but im just not clear on how it works.

thanks,

Don

2. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

buy an airport base station, hook the dsl up to that and then have wireless?

yes, granted you have a computer with a wireless card. (i.e. Airport card)

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

the only problem is that my pc doesnt have an airport card, is there a way to hook both of them up? my powerbook would be using the wireless.

4. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

5. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

1) You connect your dsl modem to your wireless base station with a network cable.

2) You connect your pc to the base station with a network cable. The pc connects to the internet thru the base station. (you could also buy a wireless adaptor for your pc and connect to the basestation wirelessly)

3) You install an airport card in your notebook. The notebook then connects to the internet wirelessly through the base station.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

thanks for the help, flowbee, will a wireless acess point from say, belkin, still be able to communicate with apple's airport? or does it have to be specific apple wireless base?

Also, which type of network cable to i buy, i mean, I believe there are two kinds?

7. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Firstly, any wireless access point should work with a Mac that has an airport hard.

Secondly get at least CAT5 ethernet cable. You want the normal kind (not the crossed).

8. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I use a Netgear wireless router to connect my 2 Macs, a PC, a Tivo, and an Xbox. You don't specifically need Apple's "Airport" base station.