Confused and Confounded!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stubeeef, Jan 16, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well maya helped steer me away from the westdig media ctr-it was not a bootable drive for the mac without partitioning the drive, But I went out today to pic up a LaCie but could not find one without having to drive a ways. Saw this seagate external hd at worstbuy and wondered if it was a bootable drive.

It will serve as a bu for my 12" pb 1.33.

Thanks for any advice, may order the LaCie, but the seagate was inexpensive but so new I couldn't find a review. Would greatly appreciate a tap from the MR knowledge base.

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

My opinion is that the Lacie drive is a prosumer product. The Seagate drive is a home user product. Therefore, if you can afford the Lacie drive, go for it. It'll probably last longer, perform better, and it just looks better.

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well this drive will live a tright life doing a single backup every night. My real question is if anyone knows if that seagate is a bootable drive or not. I am NO techy, and have no ideas what makes a drive bootable for a mac. Is it the chipset or software?
    I am now stuck on what to do, a good friend is a mac guru, was saying he can build me one with a hitachi drive and enclosure for $200 (250gb) just to be nice-as a born skeptic-are the hitachi drives any good?

tanks

4. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Hitachi drives are from IBM originally. They are excellent drives.

5. Bhennies macrumors 6502

they ARE great drives. Why not buy an OWC FW drive from them direct? They use IBM/HItachi drives as well and they are amazing. I built my own with OWC enclosures and seagate barracuda drives, but that's cause I wanted the quiet drives for my recording studio.

p.s. I boot from it all the time.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's not the chipset. As far as I know, you can boot from any FireWire drive. I'd say buy whatever has the best warranty. The Seagate should be fine, the LaCie probably being only a little better. Built tougher, cooler, or quieter maybe. Other than that, it's just a regular drive in a fancy case. You can save money by getting a regular drive and putting it into a firewire case, like OWCs, unless Seagate's is cheaper with rebate or something.

7. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

thanks everyone, it is helping, I might just have my buddy to bto for me with the hitachi.

solvs, I was reading a review by mac folks (forgot who) on the western digital media ctr and they said the only way to make it a bootable drive was to partition it, the review on the maxtor one touch II mentioned it was a bootable drive for mac types. Needless to say, I started to then get dizzy.

Then of course I made the mistake of asking a question about the seagate while at bestbuy, the "expert" told me that there aren't any drives that are bootable for mac, I then proceeded to not be nice, ooppps. :)

Thanks for the help people, keep it coming, I won't do anything before 10:30am est today.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You'll have to format it for a Mac. Other than that, any drive will do. Some that come with their own software, like the One-Touchs may have Mac specific software. But if you're just using it as a regular external firewire drive, it won't matter.

I still would suggest just getting a regular drive from wherever it's cheapest, and a nice case from OWC.

Or, you know, one of the drives I'm selling in my sig. :p