confused- apple laptops and WOW

Discussion in 'Games' started by starstreak, Dec 7, 2004.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

I'm still contemplating buying a IBOOK or PB 12.1.
    But I want to play my WOW that I'm addicted to on my PC. Is it worth upping $500 to a PB? How good will this game really play? I mean those with laptops to answer. I've read the others with home machines and getting mixed answers. Please help. I maybe off today to pickup the apple.

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I have a Rev C 12" PB and all I can say is it ran. It wasn't pretty, but it did work well enough with settings on low. If you were to compare it to a pc or PowerMac I say the results are a little disappointing. On an iBook I say the results will be even worse since it only has 32 MB of VRam.

[NOTE] I played the beta version when it was released and got on average of 15 to 20 FPS. I have not played the the retail version so I don't know if there was any improvements. Hopefully there were.

Still, dont let this discourage you from buying the game; its awsome.

3. Dan8302 macrumors member

Dan8302

I ran the beta with my ibook g4 1ghz just fine
    not sure how the commercial version works I haven't gotten it yet
    hope this helps

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

WoW works pretty darned well on my 1.25GHz AlPB.

5. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

but is it worth paying the $500 more to get the 12.1 PB over that of the new ibook?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can only say that a small screen like a 12" PB will do you a serious disservice when playing an amazing (and dangerous) environment game like WoW.

7. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

You could wait for the G5 powerbook.

But for now, if the PB has 64MB vid-memory and iB has 32, then I guess PB will give a good performance jump..

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

By the time a G5 powerbook is available, I'll be kicking ass in WoW2.

9. wcalderini macrumors member

My Experience...

Just my 2 cents. WOW runs fine on my PB. I don't know how to/or care to count actual frame rates, but it is just as playable on my PB 15 1.5GHZ G4, 80GB 5200RPM 1GRAM 128MB ATI, as it is on my Dell 2.0 GHZ P4 w/128 ATI Radeon SE w 1GB Ram. The only REAL difference I see is in the shaders.
    On the Dell I get softer shadows and more "shades" for a smoother "movie-like" look. I'm sure that once the drivers are updated (a known issue explained in the game manual) that even this difference will disappear. Now the geeky cool part. I showed the game to my daughter (12) the other night and, of course being the pure video crack that this game is, she became completely addicted, so I had to get a version for her to play. After creating a separate account for her, (ugh...no family plan at Blizzard) and purchasing a wireless router for their Dell, I decided to try something else FIRST because we were REAL impatient to play. Using my trusty t-mobile T610 w/bluetooth and internet connect, I was actually able to dial in through my cell phone/laptop connection, connect, and actually play.
    Even though the cell reception at thier house is horrible, despite a little choppiness here and there, it was completely playable and MUCH FUN! I was able to appear in character to guide her through her first quests. So now I know that I can play virtually ANYWHERE with cell reception and I only expect the experience to get better with a stronger signal, and since this game does NOT need to access the CD drive I should be able to get about 2-3 hours of good playing time from virtually anywhere.
    I don't know....sigh....sometimes I think I get a little carried away.
    Thanks Bliz, you got my Biz.
    BC
    PB AL 15in 1.5GHZ G4 • 80GB 5200RPM HD • 1GB Ram• 128MB ATI • Bluetooth • Airport Extreme

10. vashim66 macrumors member

Please post your FPS?

I have a 1.25 GHz AlPB. 512MB ram, 4200rpm drive, radeon 9600 mobility, etc.

I only get around 15-20 (maybe 25 if there are no buildings or characters on my screen) with every setting set to the LOWEST. Also, in larger cities this will go down to 5-10FPS. To me, this does not qualify as "pretty darned well", but rather more along the lines of "pathetic". I have heard that the latest PB doesnt increase performance that much...maybe 5FPS overall.

Please keep this in mind when thinking about buying a laptop for gaming.

11. Steradian macrumors 6502

Yes, and once you have bought it, buy some more RAM, I think you should have a minium of 1 gig to play WoW. The Game runs OK on my 1Ghz G4 Ti book. (I have 1 GB of RAM). The faster HD and the better Vid card are worth the extra Dough.

12. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

looks like I desided on a mac PB 12.1in screen. Does the memory HAVE to be Apple branded? I got 512mb of pc2700 pny memory. WHich the Apple guy said it works. but I keep hearing that it won't. I don't want to open the box yet if I made a mistake.
    I spent over my budget by about $300. But not I'm thinking about if I should've gotten the superdrive model. Oh well.
    Was the guy lying in saying that the PB 12.1 screen is BRIGHTER than the IBOOK 12.1in screen? I didn't see a difference, but he said it is.

13. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I've heard both things about the RAM. It doesn't have to be from Apple, you could get it from crucial or something. But I've heard there is something special about it.

Mucho better screen on the PB!

I think this should be the one:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...erBook+G4+1.33GHz+(12-inch+Display)&submit=Go

14. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

THanks. I hope the PNY memory works. It comes out to $79 after rebate. I can't believe there's only 1 slot in this unit. I hope 768mb is good enough to play WOW (World of Warcraft) or I'll be sick.

15. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

well I was doing my battery calibration so I really didn't have time to play because after taking over an hour to install, I had like 1 minute before laptop shutdown. :)
    But on all low settings @1024x768 it was kinda choppy but I guess playable. I should try once I get in a building.

16. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Ram

There was a thread about 1gig of ram from Frys for $159 :eek:
    Is this to good to be true :confused: well I ordered it so when it gets here and after I put it in i'll know :cool: Yes I bought the PNY for my new 14" iBook on Sunday but that will go in my girlfriends 12"iBook :rolleyes: Hey I need the larger ram more :D anyway its just extra info. for you to think about, enjoy.

17. manosira macrumors member

manosira

I have a 15" PB 1.5 Ghz with 1.5 Ram and 128 VRam.. and it runs nice! Rarely is it choppy - and even that it's probably because of the lan. I have it on a higher resolution than my friends PC too. It depends if you want to use your new laptop as a gaming machine also or if you want to just keep your pc as that. I just have one puter in all, so I beefed it up so that I could play the few games that come out for the Mac.