confused as to what system to get for best game play

Discussion in 'Games' started by flir67, Oct 10, 2006.

1. flir67 macrumors 6502

I'm a hardcore gamer with a love for first person/3rd person shooters.

can't wait for battlefield 2142 to comeout.but need system to play it on? so thats my problem.

I've been without a pc for about a year and a half now. went to mac. but the urge is killing to get a new system. with all the online chat gameplay now which system is the best.

I want a iMac 17" with 128 video ram but not sure how it will run games as xp and vista is still not stable on them.

I have beaten every new firstperson shooter on my xbox so that leaves me with xbox 360 or ps3 but yesterday or a day ago microsoft quoted as losing 1.2 billion on the system. alot of stores I've been to seem to have a tiny 360 game section.

I have a mac mini but its a no gamer machine with 27" hdtv

so what is the best choice today. go back to a pc? or a imac 17" or 20" with vista 64bit

thanks in advance

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

If you like shooters stay with the 360 - gears of war, rainbow6,GRAW,halo(1,2,3), splintercell, brothersinarms

as to the imac go for the 256mbvideocard option - from playing those games you should know better by getting the most you can for the money...I have 2footimac with a 7600gt256videocard and have been plaing dark messiah at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out and it plays beautifully

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

At the moment a PC, Apple is just using piss poor graphics with little options. The only way you can get a decent GPU in a Mac is to buy a $2500 Powermac and upgrade or a 24" iMac and again upgrade. Just ridiculous. Apple is saying go elsewhere seems to me.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Xbox 360......who cares how much MS loses for 360+xBox? I mean its bad for them, but they plan to poor money into xBox until it makes some money(if this means paying people to pick the 360, they might do it :))

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Best game play? You don't have to look further than the GBA and its plethora of addictive games.

6. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

FACT.

7. :DRS:Church macrumors newbie

Just build a gaming PC, thats what I did. I have had a Mac in my home since 1985 and about 2 years ago I built a gaming PC. I just could not deal with apple's lack of gaming support:mad:

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Gaming PC is the best option, especially if you want to play FPS, if you don't want to build your own PC (very cheap, for 2000$ you can get a KILLING rig, like considerable faster for games than upgraded to X1900XT MacPro rig, or for 1000$ you can get a PRETTY decent computer (hmm, kinda like a 7600GT upgraded 24" iMac, maybe even with a better vidcard.)

Otherwise Mac Pro is the way to go.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I also concluded the same and bought a Alienware Rig though I wanted to support Apple they didnt want to support the gamer so they missed a sale. They are crippling almost everything they make with cheap & weak GPUs.

10. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Why spend 2grand on a pc gaming rig, plus pay for a 2grand imac when u can get a sick 3grand macpro that can play games and be a mac?

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup...A PC alone might be cheaper to game on, but once you factor in you will also likley want a Mac to do your normal stuff on, Mac Pro is cheapest!

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Might as well get a X box and then a Mini, or PS3 & Mini, or Wii and Mini or all three and a mini. Hum, Apple is killing MAC gaming developers big time. Its interesting that none of them are screaming at the top of their lungs but then Apple only listens to Apple.:(

13. flir67 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, I'm thinking about building a small gaming pc. had a killer one before the apple , I just miss it so much...

thanks again for all the input.

14. flir67 thread starter macrumors 6502

has any games moved the processor requirements up to a intel core 2 duo or intel core duo yet? or taken advantage of it yet?

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Civilization IV recommends a Core Duo.