confused lady

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ouketii, Jun 1, 2003.

1. ouketii macrumors regular

i went to the local apple store today, and while i was looking at the ibooks, i saw a lady looking all over a 17" iMac. then a worker came over and asked if she needed help, and she asked him if this was the new iPod. maybe all the 'i- and e- and x-' names are a little convoluded, no? I mean, hey, to the untrained eye, teh imac might look pod-ish...

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

No. She is not familiar with Macs.

Try and get all the variations of Sony Viaos, Dell Dimensions, and Compaq desktop series right. They have so many numbers and variables compared to Apple that the "i" looks like nothing compared to the specific naming system.

Then again, you could probably say the same for all Macs before the summer of 1998.

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

I've heard worse. much worse. :) ;)

One time, i was in the apple store playin with a dual 1.25, and some lady walks up to an iMac and goes, "Woah! does it have like, a hard drive?" to which some guy says, "yup. you're lookin at it."

Even better, (i don't know if this will ever be beat) a lady walks into the apple store, up to an employee, and says "is this a store?" i had to leave then in fear of what would happen next.

4. ouketii thread starter macrumors regular

yeh, youve got a point, ibook is more meaningfull than 'inspiron 5210' or 'presario 1620us'

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

that might be the funiest thing i heard all day.:D

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

On loveline adam corolla told Dr. Drew he should hookup his imac before surgery so its more pleasant. I had to chuckle.

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

LOL stupid people these days

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Retarded questions like that only solidify my stance of never working sales ever again.

Did this poor woman have any resemblance to the boss in Dilbert?

9. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    At first blush, that very much may appear one of the stupidest questions on the planet...to be sure, there's a lot of morons out there! But on second glance, well...think about it:

The stores look like nothing else out there...more akin to an art gallery than anything else.

There are no obvious "cash registers" nor protected space that employees stand behind to ring up sales...it's very open.

Anyone who is not familer with the Apple line up (God help us, there are still those out there who've never seen a Mac, and that's why those stores are out there) may not know what to make of the iMacs and all the other goodies...in a boring IBM clone world, the public is pretty much convinced, at large, that a computer is a beige or black box with a tv hooked up to it.

What an opportunity to introduce a newbie to the world of Apple! I would have loved to have heard the rest of the conversation...if the clerk played their cards right, I bet she walked out with a new Mac.:)

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

It's kind of ironic that people consider IBM and Apple opposite enemies, when IBM will(probably) make Apple's next processor.

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

not enemy, just exact opposite. IBM is devoted to the hardware, what it does. Apple is devoted to everything else.

12. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I think the G4 iMac's base is a lot more sci-fi movie pod-like than the rectangular iPod. If you had to guess which one is the "pod" I would think most people would say the iMac.

BTW, Apple Stores need to get rid of the G3 iMacs they are using at the kids gaming station. Why a big hands-on experience with something their parent's cannot buy? Also, they need to update the games on the kids display units. It's the same old stuff all of the time.

And, here's the big money maker: start offering those little ball chairs for sale. I've heard a dozen people say they'd buy one (or two) if they could. I would too. They're great!

Maybe those chairs are the real pods....

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

What Apple store are you referring to? The new Bellevue Square Apple Store has 3 eMacs in its kids section.

14. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Yeah, my Apple store has replaced all of the iMacs in the kid's section with eMacs.

The only G3 iMacs left are the "cash registers."

15. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i like that one...
    lol, but for true :D

16. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Good one.
    :p

17. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Not really, there are 3 different iBooks, 2 of which are vastly different (12" and 14"). Both naming conventions are equally vague. Inspiron 8500 still has different screen sizes and such available as well.