Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Ok, I figure I have been on Macrumors for a long time and i consider most everybody a friend at least a net friend, so I figure why not get input from my friends?? Heres the deal, I just broke up with my girl friend of almost a year and a half it sucks. I had to leave state for a few days and when I was gone she went on a date with another guy, no big deal were broken up. Well that next night she calls me balling in my ear how she made a mistake and that I was all she could think about and how much she missed me, so I told her that we should get back together and try and work things out and that I missed her as well. It was late so we didnt decide anything that night the next day she is all wondering if we should get back together or see other people but she said she still loves me but she is wanting me to wait for her to decide. Everyone I know says that I should just forget about her and move on but I love her and I dont want to give up on any chance of getting back with her, any ideas on what to do??

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
1. Was she still bawling when she talked to you the next day?
Or was she a little more rational when you talked the next day?

2. "Everyone I know says that I should just forget about her and move on"
Since none of us know you or her as well as this "Everyone you know", why are they saying that? Take a good look at that.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Ok, I figure I have been on Macrumors for a long time and i consider most everybody a friend at least a net friend, so I figure why not get input from my friends?? Heres the deal, I just broke up with my girl friend of almost a year and a half it sucks. I had to leave state for a few days and when I was gone she went on a date with another guy, no big deal were broken up. Well that next night she calls me balling in my ear how she made a mistake and that I was all she could think about and how much she missed me, so I told her that we should get back together and try and work things out and that I missed her as well. It was late so we didnt decide anything that night the next day she is all wondering if we should get back together or see other people but she said she still loves me but she is wanting me to wait for her to decide. Everyone I know says that I should just forget about her and move on but I love her and I dont want to give up on any chance of getting back with her, any ideas on what to do??

Well, she's gone out on a date a few days after breaking up with you (after a year and a half). Hmm, it's going to quite obviously mess with her head.

I was in pretty much the same situation a while ago. (August '06). I got back with her because I loved her. All my friends told me to walk away. I stayed with her. But it was a rough few months. She decided to end us while we were both at a concert, knowing I couldn't move away as it was a reserved seating gig (sold out) and she and her family were also my lift home.

I'm glad it's over, but I shouldn't have gone back in the first place. I'm now someone else, it's been only four months, but it feels way more special than it did with the previous partner.

My advice would be to just walk away.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
fwiw, I think that if you guys are to take a "break" on your relationship, now would probably be a good time. Stay apart for a while and see what happens.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
you may still love her, and she may still love you. but you gotta ask if she's the one or if the relationship is worth the effort. you have to wonder why the relationship didn't work in the first place and if it's something you want to work on/fix. some time to think might help.

theyoda3

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
I agree with SamIchi. Take some time to be apart, maybe 6-12 months. That will give both of you time to reaffirm your feelings or really define them. It's hard to look to the future shortly after a breakup. She may just be settling for what she is used to with you, rather than what she really wants. If you take the time to be apart and experience other people, but you were really meant to be together, then you will find your way back to each other.

I kind of had a similar situation with a person I was with for over two years. She left me because she felt like we were more like friends than bf and gf. I would have done anything to get back with her. I'm actually glad it happened though. During our time together our lives had become dependent on each other and the time apart let me be independent again. We've been apart almost a year now.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Im not sure what im going to do, Im going to talk to her in person tomorrow night this was almost all done over the phone we have not seen each other for almost 2 weeks. We both agree that its hard to tell what the other is feeling over the phone so we are going to meet at starbucks. Thank you for the responses

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.