Confused with IBM

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dan8302, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Dan8302 macrumors member

Dan8302

I was just watching TV and saw the new commercial for the IBM think pad, that uses and Intel chip. Now this doesn't make sence to me, so could anyone else explain this to me.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

IBM doesn't make Intel compatible chips of its own, so they need someone else's to run Windows.

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

While this is true now, they use o make the Cyrix (check spelling) chips, to compete with the PII, and early PIII's.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You spelt it correctly. :)

Yes, they used to be the foundry for the Cyrix M1 and M2 and re-branded something like 20 percent of the chips for themselves, through the agreement.

At the same time, they were using Intel processors for the majority of their PCs.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Hey, I still see IBM as the most viable canadate for "the new" Mac Clone market (if one were to ever occur). Not only would Wintel macines no longer be "IBM compatible" but IBM would become "Macintosh Compatible". With IBM name recognition, more people would trust the "Mac" name as an OS, and people would see them not at fancy computers for the rich and artisticly gifted, but a machine for business, productivity, and home.

TEG

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They were pretty much down that road with the IBM PC 850 series. I suppose that you've never heard of it, though. In fact, 99.995 percent of the population hadn't either. :(

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

If IBM became a Mac clone, it would run Apple into the ground. IBM could manufacture at scales orders of magnitude over that of Apple. Apple wouldn't stand a chance. If Apple were lucky, it would hold into its current marketshare. However, it could lose customers to IBM, because IBM probably would have more speedy and efficient supply chains.

Yes, Apple's MINDshare would probably increase significantly. But marketshare's what counts in this world.

8. gschumsky macrumors member

This is similar in the automotive world, where Ford's big trucks (commercial and diesel models), use Chevy engines, and Chevy's diesel truck models (consumer and commercial), use a Cummings (owned by Ford...).

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ibm is thirty times the company apple inc is so they have better connections, and like you said, speedier supply chains

i had a friend who used to work for motorola and he told me how the company never really took apple very seriously because they were dealing with a small niche market

apple lost the opportunity to establish their claim on the ground floor of the computer business...so many mistakes were made in the early days and so much misfortune fell on apple as if there was this curse against them

but if apple makes machines for the niche customer/rich artists, then so be it...it's better than nothing and be an ex maker like packard bell or wang...and it's better than having to close one's retail division like ibm had to...when i worked at office depot, the poorly designed (looks) ibm machines just sat there while people either sprang for the cheaper emachines or the smoother and sleeker looking compaqs and hewlett packards...the poor, ugly ibm machines just sat on the shelves and we had to either close them out or buy them and use them for the store/back office

ibm had this problem worldwide so they had to pull out of regular retail and chain stores like staples, office depot, and office max...going online was their best option for home, home office, and corporate office machines since they wouldn't have to be seen side by side next to either cheaper or sexier looking machines...ibm is actually a beautiful machine, on the inside, and that is all that really matters in the long run

10. ddtlm macrumors 65816

gschumsky:

Totally of topic, but Ford might use engines from a GM subsidiary in their commercial trucks, but from Chevy, no. Chevy/GMC do not use a Cummins engine in their consumer trucks either, Dodge does. Chevy/GM are using an engine from a Japanese subsidiary of theirs (Izuzu?) in their consumer trucks, Ford is using an engine from International, which I believe is not owned by any large automaker.

Not sure why Ford keeps using the International diesel when they could use their own engine from Cummins, perhaps the International engine is less expensive, or perhaps they can't stomach the idea of using the same diesel as Dodge has been using all these years. Might make them look wrong, or something. :)