Confused????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by steve88, Apr 21, 2005.

1. steve88 macrumors member

I have been reading these posts here on all the info I can about the imacG5. I plan to use photoshop and Illustrator, but not at a professional level. I came across a thread about this guy running PS on his imacG5 and his Powerbook. He claims that the G5 is slightly slower than the Powerbook. How is this possible? I thought that the Powerbook was G4 based, which according to everyone else, is much slower than the G5. I also read that the single G5 is as fast or faster than a dualG4. Maybe I read too much, or there are some "magic" G4 Powerbooks out there.

I would like some straight information on this matter. I think that maybe there are a lot of people out there that think "I have XYZ, therefore XYZ is the best."

My Question: Is a G5 iMac with 768MB ram and 250GB HD with a G5 1.8 enough for Photoshop to run good? Please remember that I am not using this professionally, and do not want to go the $7000.00 ultra high end dream machine route.

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Hi and welcome to macrumors. Well i have a iMac G5 1.8GHz..and i can tell you that it is fast...I never have any lag time..well apart from games..but it doesnt seem that you will be using ur mac for gaming. If youy want some benchmarks go to this site...Linky . Here you see how well the iMac compares to the Powerbook. I am not 100% sure but i think that the iMac is faster than the powerbook in most cases..if not all. But the powerbook does have other things which make it better for profesional users...eg ATI 9700 128MB, Firewire 800, gigabit Ethernet. But from my expierence..i really like the iMac G5..it performs reallly well and i think you will be really impressed with it....

Peace
    DjVoTeZ

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

It's not really possible, but for maybe a few obscure and incorrect setup reasons. I speak from experience, with both units running PS.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So, clearly, it depends on which powerbook, huh, and how the two computers are configured? They definitely don't all have that video card. Were that card on the PB 12", there's no way I would've gone for an iBook, cutesy-be-damned. :D

Is it accurate to say that a system RAM, a good video card, and video ram are going to do you huge services in getting performance out of PS, perhaps moreso than processor speed? Or does Photoshop not take that much advantage of processing power in the video card? I'm sure that of those three, sys RAM is definitely a biggy.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You have absolutely nothing to worry about - nothing at all! Your setup will run Photoshop great.

I've got a 12" 1GHz PB and 17" G5 1.8 GHz iMac (both with 758MB RAM) and the iMac is a much more capable machine, though both run Photoshop fine :)

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

An iMac 1.8 will work great for Photoshop CS. I use a G4 800 regularly for photoshop and it's quite responsive. Except when I apply filters to 50 meg images that takes a moment.