Confusing Software update problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleinJapan, Feb 5, 2006.

1. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

Today I booted up my iMac 2001 model and Software update started...I just clicked to download the updates but i saw something very strange...i have a 400Mhz imac G3 192 Mb memory and running OS 10.3.9

[​IMG]

Why am i updating an update from 2004 ?? so I checked the terminal

[​IMG]

Whats going on ???? Should I back up everything and do a clean install ??

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. It seems like it's just an error in the log file that's carried through to Software Updater. Of course, keep everything backed up as you would anyway. :p

4. mpw Guest

Different Problem, but same topic.

While people are drawn to your thread with thier 'must solve software update problem' hat on I thought I'd ask a couple of quikies.

1) When my software update window opens it has three items listed; G5 sleep light, Pages Update, KeyNote update. I don't want/need to install any of these but it bugs me that I cant delet them from the update list. Is there any way of letting Software Update know I never want it to prompt me again?

2) There's no 'Quit' button on my Software Update window next to the Install button? Any ideas were it went? It's obviously still there 'cause I just click where it used to be and the window closes.:confused:

Thanks

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You should be able to either select the update and press DELETE or select Ignore Update from the Update menu. :)

Have you checked behind the couch? Umm, any theme changers installed? Maybe repair permissions because it's so much fun. :cool:

6. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Happened to me, too. Some security updates from 2004?!!
    On my G4 Digital Audio 533Mhz, running OS 10.3.9
    I thought it was because I just did a clean install.

7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

The pics for the topic post aren't displaying, but generally, if you are seeing updates via software update that you believe you have already installed (such as security updates) it's likely that receipts folder (located at /library/receipts) has been tampered with or receipts inside the folder have been deleted.

Software update relies on the receipts folder when it checks to see what's installed on your system. It's a good idea to leave the receipts folder and it's contents alone.