Confuzzlement @ iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac'Mo, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Since the iPhone is fully touch screen and it supports itunes, is this basically the new vPod (or iPod with acceptable battery life for video capabilities) with touch screen (that everyone was hoping for)?

or...do i totally not know what im talking about?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe.. but maybe not.

Who is to say that there won't be a large HD version of the same thing (sans phone support and widgets and whatnot) out shortly after the iPhone?

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I don't see this happening. I think they really want to push the whole all in one thing. They'll probably make a version of the iPhone with all the features and a bigger HD within a year after the release of the first one, if I had to guess.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Really? Not everyone wants a new cell phone with video capabilities. Not everyone wants a video ipod that can make cell calls. I'd bet money on a large HD version of this same thing coming out stricktly for the video market.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I think they'll do what they did with the mini.

They made the iPod mini with scroll wheel, then integrated it into the iPod.

I think they'll take the new widescreen capability and, eventually, integrate it into the iPod video. :)

6. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

also you have to assume that ppl (who want just the "vPod") will not want to be binded to Cingular or any other monthly fee contract

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I see it happening...but the when is the big part. They really need to push the iPhone now and releasing a vPod would cannibalize sales. There is a small chance they might release one in October for a holiday shopping rush, but I really only see that happening if the iPhone doesn't have enough momentum going by then to be the "it" thing to buy people for the 2007 holiday season.

8. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I expect they'll make a full video iPod with a big HD within the next year. However, aside from having the same screen tech, it'll probably look quite different from the iPhone. Apple won't want to create brand confusion, so the 6G video ipod will probably look more like the traditional ipod design, with creamy white plastic rather than the rounded chrome fittings of the iPhone.

It'll be a different product, so it makes sense to make it look different than the iPhone.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Good call!

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I really think Apple would be silly (and by silly I mean stupid) to have this iPhone be their iPod replacement - it's simply not enough space and too much money for those that are just looking for a music/video player.

I predict we'll see a new 6G iPod sometime this year.

11. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I laughed at the thought of that one. Being severely late for work, 30 minutes away from home only to realize that you grabbed the wrong multi-touch screen device :rolleyes:

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I think they'll bring out something similar looking, but not identical and slightly deeper (to accommodate the HD). I also think they will use the version of Mac OS X bundled with iPhone — so they can shove the music player and cover flow in there. My final prediction is they will take the HD right up to 100GB on the high end model, to differentiate it from iPhone.