Congr. report shows little or no savings with new drug card

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

The name for this fiasco should be "The Drug Company Benefit Act".

Now this sounds like a real benefit:

We can only hope it gets some attention.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Went to pick up a maintance medicaiton. Price for one monthe went from $20 to $30. Same med :rolleyes: Thanks for nothing, Dubya.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

ABC News recently did an investigation that showed the price of various meds, esp. those televised, went way up three months before the cards took effect. Now, those same meds with the discount cards are even more expensive than they were.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Doesn't seem like Bush is going to be able to crow about a piece of legislation he lied about the cost and then doesn't even help the people it's suppose to help. It will be interesting to see how he explains this in the debates.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My prediction? He'll crow and continue to ignore the truth. That *is* his way!

6. CandelLife macrumors newbie

CandelLife

A co-worker of mine pays some $600.00 a month for the prescription plan for herself and her husband to cover their medicines....the older you get, the more you need...and it's all pricey.

What gets me is you have few choices....people with ultra low to no income get medicaid.....people with full time jobs luck enough to work for a company that offers health insurance may or may not have a good plan. For what it costs for the family rate you'd think you'd be better off with your own personal health Insurance away from the company....but then we come to the in-between....

The ones (Like myself who works 30 hours a week) will not have company sponsored health insurance, and does not qualify for freebie-medicaid either....can't afford my own....Kids are covered through medicaid because they basically cover all kids.....but for myself, I better hope to NEVER get sick....

Some prescriptions I have had to fill are $90.00 and up for a very small quantity......There's alot more people out there not covered than they talk about.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

indeed. it'll be painted as a win no matter what, probably w/ some BS anecdote about one person who now pays a little less.

8. Flex macrumors newbie

A long time ago I worked as a field service technician for a company that wrote software that various private pharmacies used to fill prescriptions. Because of the potential slanderous remarks I'm about to make I will not name names.

First off it had a psuedo discount imbedded in the code. This code takes the cash price of the prescription in the event of being presented a senior citizen discount will first raise the price of the prescription 10% placing that amount in the cash field then giving the customer a 10% discount. Pharmacist didn't like this code because the idiots who coded didn't realize raising 100 bucks by 110% and then decreasing 110 bucks to 90% got you 99 bucks a loss of 1 buck to the pharmacist. This 1 dollar represented their real profit on medispan patients.

The pharmacist argument for ripping off their customers is that whenever they fill a prescription it did not matter whether the presciption cost them 5 bucks or 500 bucks they were still only allowed to make 1.50 dollars profit off of the sale. Medispan also knew about their rebates that they received from drug companies for paying on time and therefore assumed they would always pay their drug suppliers on time and took that into account in the equation. However, They usually did not pay on time because they would have to wait 6 - 12 months for Medispan to pay their tab.

This is why so many pharmacies don't take medispan or medicare. The big chains like Walgreens, Wal-mart, Eckerds, etc could make better deals and thus bigger profits and for some reasons medispan did not take their profit away from them or if they did they simply considered it an investment in getting the customer into their store.

Issueing a drug card does not change how much drugs cost. They have to compensate for any loss through the raising of pricing of the drugs themselves or somewhere else to compensate. These places that sale the drugs to the customers are already at rock bottom pricing and any lower they will not make a profit. In fact in several cases they actually take a loss in the sale.

If you make it cheaper on poor people you make it more expensive on other folks and that isn't right either. Buy generics, use tums or some cheap ant acid instead of the best on the market. You don't automatically expect to be able to have the best food, house, or car on the market neither should you expect the best medical care on the market, at least not without paying what it actually costs to provide.

Personally though I think they should allow us to buy drugs from anywhere we want to, including Canada and Mexico. Folks who buy from none FDA approved facilities will have to take their own risks though so buyer beware.

9. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

You do have a good point, the bigger bird always gets the biggest worm, there's nothing unusual in that. What the drug benefit does however is disallow Medicare from negotiating directly with the drug companies and by doing so removes one of the cornerstones of US economic activity, volume pricing. It also allows drug companies to raise prices on a WEEKLY basis, while only allowing the consumer the chance to change plans once per year.

Both of these show that gw & co. is less interested in market based pricing and more interested in gouging the little guy while charging the US treasury billions of dollars. While it can be argued that business activity will increase as a result, it will increase only on the backs of those who can least afford it.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My feeling exactly!

And the way AARP rolled over for this just makes me sick. I was all set to join them till their backing of the Drug Company Benefit Act.

As the only remaining Super Power it is sad that people die because there is not rational healthcare policies that don't make people choose the basics of life (food and shelter).

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

More of "I have mine. now you get yours". I just hope Flex/Sly/Voltron is always able to have his.

My own home situation has shown how things can change for the worse, even if only temporary. My other half just got turned down for his own "cheaper" health insurance because he was treated for ashama (sp) about 6 months ago. So he is still tied to a high cost COBRA policy ($500 a month); but only for another 12 months or so.

12. CandelLife macrumors newbie

CandelLife

My friend that pays $600.00 a month does get her meds from a place in Canada, over the internet....she also talks to them on the phone, and still, it costs her $600.00 a month.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that made me laugh :)

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now we have spelling police :D

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Feat back and spread 'em!

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nah, i was just thinking of UN Resolution 1642 on Chili con Carne

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now with the right chili peppers that can be a true WMD! :D

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

NOBODY expects the Spellish Inquisition...

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And in true US fashion we have the Spelling Police and the Grammar Police, each doing their own thing! :D

Next will be the addition of the Smiley Police. :)

Oops, BRB there is a knock at the door....

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

[​IMG]

Mexico has probably arrested a dozen people going down there to get "cheap" meds.

So you have to watch out for yourself if you go south for meds.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Is this enforcement new? Or is it something they have always done?

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

24. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Why should the government have to pay to keep us alive? Or better yet, why should all of you have to pay for my fathers precriptions? Would that not be his responsiblity? And if he can't then mine?

Social welfare is a joke.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And if YOU can't, what then?

It has been said many times here before, but we ALL suffer from our fellow humans' desperation and destitution. Enlightened self-interest requires social welfare.