Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Boggle said:
I'm so putting this into the computer for my "in case you need an excuse to party!" daily reminder.

Congrats, mad jew! *blows party kazoo*
HAHAHA
I guess congratulations Mad Jew But dam 15,000 posts... someone needs a new hobby j/k MJ ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm puzzled why people feel the need to congratulate others on their post count. I can't think of anything hollower and less significant than back-slapping someone on the basis of how many times they've hit the 'reply' button.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Blue Velvet said:
I'm puzzled why people feel the need to congratulate others on their post count.
Maybe dedication to MR?

Seems to me, that the more one makes meaningful posts, the more they contribute. But that's just me.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
sushi said:
Maybe dedication to MR?

Seems to me, that the more one makes meaningful posts, the more they contribute. But that's just me.
True.

Congats mad jew on your 12th meaningful post, yay!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
sushi said:

Meaningful, yes. This isn't a slight upon MJ, just a comment that some seem to find post count a far greater signifier than it actually warrants, while others whose contributions are less prolific but more valuable are overlooked.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Blue Velvet said:
Meaningful, yes. This isn't a slight upon MJ, just a comment that some seem to find post count a far greater signifier than it actually warrants, while others whose contributions are less prolific but more valuable are overlooked.

You do bring up a valid point Blue Velvet- sometime those who post more in quantity are given more credit than those who post less in terms of quantity but more in terms of quality. :)

That said, mad jew deserves some recognition for his outstanding participation (obsession? ;) ) here at MR. :)

Applespider said:
But, and no disrespect to MJ here, there's no count on how many of the posts are meaningful so post count is a pretty arbritary method of valuing worth to the MR community.

Take me for example, 1 out of every 100 of my posts might be helpful. :eek: ;) :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dmw007 said:
That said, mad jew deserves some recognition for his outstanding participation (obsession? ;) ) here at MR. :)

I believe we've already had those threads. Why don't we thank some other people around here for a change instead of having this pathetic dick-measuring contest of post-count watching? There are plenty of candidates, that's for sure.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Blue Velvet said:

Agree. :D

-------------
Reference above, just wanted to make a short meaningful answer! :p :D

BV, you do make some very valid points.

BTW, meaningful in itself is open to interpretation. What is meaningful to me may or may not be meaningful to someone else.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Blue Velvet said:
I believe we've already had those threads. Why don't we thank some other people around here for a change instead of having this pathetic dick-measuring contest of post-count watching? There are plenty of candidates, that's for sure.

Do I sense some jealousy? ;) :D

But once again, you have a point Blue Velvet there are plenty of great people on this forum that are worthy of recognition. :)

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Blue Velvet said:
I believe we've already had those threads.

multiple times, in fact:rolleyes:

i'm with you. post counts are a waste of attention.

in his defense, mad jew doesn't bring this stuff up himself... it's other people who feel the need to pad their own post counts who do ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dmw007 said:
Do I sense some jealousy? ;) :D

Is that how you think my mind works?

But no, not in the slightest. I'm actually thinking of plenty of unsung heroes on this forum who sometimes don't even get a thanks from the person they've helped.

I'd be equally annoyed to see threads about me springing up, left right and centre or anyone else for that matter.

Why do people feel the need to make these things even public? To be seen to shower praise seems to be just as important as the praise itself... IMO that's what PMs are for.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
gwuMACaddict said:
in his defense, mad jew doesn't bring this stuff up himself... it's other people who feel the need to pad their own post counts who do ;)

Yes, let us remember that mad jew is guilty until proven innocent......err, I mean innocent until proven guilty. ;) :D

Blue Velvet said:
Is that how you think my mind works?

No, I was just joking with you. :eek: :)

Blue Velvet said:
But no, not in the slightest. I'm actually thinking of plenty of unsung heroes on this forum who sometimes don't even get a thanks from the person they've helped.

Sadly, this does sometimes end up the case.

Blue Velvet said:
Why do people feel the need to make these things even public? To be seen to shower praise seems to be just as important as the praise itself... IMO that's what PMs are for.

I suppose that would be good for most of these sorts of threads. But breaking 15,000 posts is a pretty remarkable accomplishment that I think is okay to share. :)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I don't think we are really questioning mad jew's post count, that's a factor yes, I guess we are thanking him because he has been helpful to a lot of MR members and his post counts are an indicator of this. So thanks MJ :) and thanks to the other members who are helpful :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'm just worried that if mj's post rate goes up, MR may have to invent magical future processors to name him by as he overtakes reality :eek:

However, I suppose the amount of posts the term G4 covers will have to be approaching infinity, considering how long Apple had to use it (insert obligitary grumble about Motorola).

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
One thing to note, is that the Mad Jew himself did not start this thread nor bring up the fact that he had passed 15,000 posts.

Rather it was macEfan who started this thread with this post:

macEfan said:
I noticed you have 15,000 posts...

I think your the only person with the 604 status...

well congrats on your posting, and keep it up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.