Congratulations, YOU are Time's Person of the Year!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xsedrinam, Dec 16, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

And the winner of Time Magazine's Person of the Year 2006 goes to YOU. Congratulations! Acceptance speeeech, please. :)

Attached Files:

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Wow... I never would've thought that the blogs, youtubing, etc. would make such an impact as to that "y'all" would be named as people/person of the year! Cool take on concept.

...Is that a cinema display and an Apple keyboard I see? :) :p

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Um ... I had no idea you were an iMac.

*reflects*

How did I never realize you were so sexy? And your resolution ... and the way I used to use you. I mean, you were all I had!

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Thank you, thank you. I accept. But first I would like to thank everyone who made this possible.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would like to thank god and my pr person and of course mom and dad

7. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I would like to thank everyone I have ever known. Where do I send my address so I can get the money? :rolleyes:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I guess they just realized that there was no one in 2006 worthy of the title :rolleyes:

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Truth.

That's a pretty big cop out. Either some dumbass came up with this idea and went on a huge campaign to sell it to everyone necessary to get it through to press, or they really couldn't come up with someone worthwhile.

Maybe they should have given it to Bush, I hear his approval numbers are grand lately. Or maybe Rumsfeld? :rolleyes:

10. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I thought Gore was going to get it. Seemed like the obvious choice. His rise from the ashes to finally put environmental issues back on everyone's mind has been impressive. It took an incredible amount of work to push past all the FUD spewed by the oil industry/GOP, but he did it. And not only that but the public awareness of the GOP's deliberate attempts to cover up the truth and destroy scientists who wouldn't be bullied has awoken the country to the larger crisis of republican perversion of science in public policy.

11. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I would like to thank mad jew for all the times he voted for me. Also to mad jew for making as many posts as he does on this forum. And a final thanks to the MR gods for not yet banning mad jew. :D :p

Cool Concept.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I hadn't thought of Gore before, but I talked to a few people right before the announcement who were betting on Gore as well.

Definitely would have been better than the mirror.

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

haha christ, what an f'n cop out this is. why didn't they just fess up and say "ok, we got nothing"

In other words I reject this award :rolleyes:

14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

But isn't this a brazen call to alterity? Not an argument for "I," but for what is absolutely beyond I -- for you?

It's within none of our steads to reject our accept, but rather it is for each of us to look at that which is other and say "Do I have the right to occupy your space?"

15. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

These two sentences should be delivered in the actor's best existential impression of the Aussie meathead in Gone in 60 Seconds, at the very end of the movie.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I like you, light bulb. If I didn't know better, I might think you were person of the year.

:)

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That'd be Vinnie Jones, he's a Pom, not an Aussie.

*ahem*

About bloody Time I say, for years I've been putting in the hard yards to win this flogging award and every year it goes to some do-gooding toss-pot. Look at last year, a singer who won't take his bloody sunglasses off, some four-eyed super-geek who made all his money by stealing from another company and is now desperately trying to avoid the karma gods by donating most of his billions to charity and that guy's missus who's just along for the ride and doesn't mind the view from the mansion whilst it's all happening - these people were Time's "Person of the Year."

What rot. The Person of The Year should be someone who's not a do-gooding nancy boy but someone who's good at what they do despite obvious failings.

Last year's "Person of the Year" should have been me but seeing as how it has to be a celebrity then it should have been the great Shane Warne. He's an absolute wanker with no respect for his wife and constantly plays off the publicity of his indiscretions but he took 40 wickets in the Ashes and single handedly nearly retained the little urn, holding the mediocre performance of the rest of the team on his broad shoulders and in doing so almost became the man who beat an entire nation.

So thanks Time, but too little too late.

I'll see who it is next year, probably that little pansy the Dalai Lama or someone...

*throws award in the bin, heads for the bar*

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Jeeezus.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It should have read 'You - not Melinda Gates or Bono again though, but everyone else, oh yeah...don't include Wayne Rooney England's biggest disappointment'. Maybe a bit of a long title but now Melinda has it twice for doing nothing, while we slave away waiting for an iPhone...

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What? He is a Pom, he was born in Watford.

21. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm lovin' the Cinema Display and Apple keyboard on the cover. :D

[​IMG]

22. Quboid macrumors 6502

23. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I actually did this with a different times magazine cover years ago for a marketing class in high school .

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yes, I used your post to point out the error of the other poster. My point being: how the hell can anyone confuse an Australian and English accent?

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh sorry, it was 3:30am when I posted - any sense I might have had of what was going on was massively reduced by it being so early and the drinks I'd had.