Congress legalizes crime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Remember when it was revealed that Bush was breaking the law by wiretapping people in contradiction of established FISA laws?

Remember how Congress said they were going to investigate?

Well..........

(My bold.)

See what I mean about legalizing crime? If you're president and you break the law, you can just get your buddies run Congress to rewrite the law. Problem solved!

Link

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'll add this to my list of 344 items of why I'm glad I don't live in the USA and my list of 238 items of why Bush is a horrible leader. :cool:

3. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

This is to add to my list of..... I don't know, but bleh.
    George W. Bush's administration and party is so corrupt and.... just.... I can't even describe how much I hate living with this leadership.:(

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If ever there was a piece of legislation that needs to be filibustered it is this one.:mad:

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so the judge will issue a warrant even if he doesn't think it's warranted?

why even bother with having a judge? for appearances? is anyone fooled?

so -- who thinks bush will actually step down in january of 2009?

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Yeah. I'm also concerned about the "A) New big terrorist threat B) Martial Law C) bush stays in office past 2009" scenario. This president still has 3 more years to create more "funny-laws" to make this even more easier. Oh well, maybe I'm a little too dramatic.

7. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I just can't believe all the stuff that's happening in the USA. It blows my mind really. It's not just this article. I can't count the number of times I've had my brain simply shut down after reading yet another article about tricks the US government is pulling.

Like I've said before, next elections for USA presidency, everyone on the planet should be able to vote. The USA affects the world greatly and not always positively... It's kind of scary to let that choice be made by the majority of US citizens, just look at who they put in Office twice. It's hard to believe they can handle the responsibility all by themselves.

Peace. :( :eek:

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

One party running the show is a formula for disaster, i give you the past 5 plus yrs. Horrible, made me stop voting republican.
    Everything that spews from this presidents mouth is lined with spin,lies,half truths twisted. Megacorporations Representitive he is, President loved by the people? Nope. He with the republican party is why we dont have cars that get 40 mpg,why big Oil had a record yr, why we have Nasa that has to ask russians to get us to space, or why Fema no longer exist and replaced by the Homeland spyland beuracracy while ignoring the border and ports, This president who denies global warming while glaciers are melting at record rates, or getting us into another vietnam, you know the war he,Cheney,Hastert,Frists,Libby,Rove,Delay all managed to avoid? And so history repeats itself, have to wonder if any of these guys had served would they have been so eager.

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't like the way this sounds, but i would really rather get something that at least pretends to be neutral rather than onesided. I'll wait for a law review article.

10. tristan macrumors 6502a

Silly me - I thought the "illegal wiretapping" thing would be a big scandal. Oh well. Score another one for Bush. Man, it's like fifty to nothing.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did Bush and Berlusconi go to the same school?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh yeah, Whitewater was worthy of years worth of investigations and subpoena after subpoena, but THIS is no biggie. Ok whatever, hypocrites. :rolleyes:

I wonder if a GOP Congress would be investigating a President Kerry if something like this came out...

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, he wouldn't have been impeached by now?

14. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Naw, he'd be somewhere in Syria.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Really. Its pathetic Getting a BJ from an intern is such a horrible, impeachable offense in America now, but illegal wiretapping is acceptable.

Someone needs to pay an intern to give Bush a BJ. Then we might have a chance of getting rid of him

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

In the past I might have laughed at that. Not anymore. He might as well call himself Emperor and invade Russia already. This is what the warrants are there for, to stop such abuses of power. It's right there in the Constitution. I'm sure most people don't realize what's really going on and/or don't care, but I think this will hurt him and the party more than even recent polls are letting on. It's the people who care that vote, and they aren't happy. On either side. People are getting tired of them using terror to justify stuff like this, especially with us still being in Iraq and all the other crap going on right now like the Dubai thing and the Katrina clean up.

And yeah, if this was someone with a (D) next to their name, the same people who support Bush now would be the ones talking impeachment. If Al Gore or Hillary did this, they'd would be calling for them to be hanged. Hypocrites.

Not likely. Most of the people who were so against Clinton's disgraceful indiscretion were guilty of the same or worse "crimes" themselves. Hypocrites.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think we need to worry about this extreme...yet. Bush is, when all is said and done, just a tool. And there are other tools out there in the GOP (albeit few as stupid and easily-controlled).

The Republicans have done a pretty good job propagandizing and rigging elections to get their guys into the White House. I think they'll continue to do so. Perhaps when even that doesn't work anymore, that's when they'll resort to actually seizing the presidency.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny thing is, these are the same conservatives who will argue that they don't want the government registering their guns, because that's an invasion of their privacy. And when you mention that they have no reason to fear the government taking their guns if they've done nothing wrong, they recoil in horror, and look at you like you can't possibly be serious, like you just have no clue how thin the line is between gun registration and guns being taken away.

But when it's brown-skinned folks who might be the target of a government intrusion, they all come out saying "Well, if you've got nothing to hide, why worry?"

Shameful.