Congress of the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GeeYouEye, Jul 22, 2005.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

To the Highlander theme (Princes of the Universe)

Here we are,
    Born to be kings,
    We're the princes of the U. S. A.

Here we belong,
    Taking all your cash
    For a war to let us have more power.

And here we are,
    We're the Congress of the USA
    Here we belong,
    Taking all your money
    We want to be the rulers of you all.

We are incumbent,
    Can't be removed through democracy!
    We have no rivals,
    None of you are our equals!
    Take me to a future with no rights.

Born to be kings,
    Princes of the USA,
    Fighting, so it seems,
    Tax and spend with one hand.
    We're here for your dough and we'll take your rights.
    We were born to be above all the laws we write.

None of you sheep will understand,
    Our word is the law of the land!
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, people talk about us,
    People say we have no morals.
    We're men that have gone far
    We'd love to tax the light coming from our star!
    With our spending hand held high,
    Gotta pass on the debt to later times.

We know that people talk about us
    We hear it everyday,
    But we can take the country to hell,
    That's our right!

Here we are,
    Born to be kings,
    We're the princes of the U. S. A.

Here we belong,
    Born to be kings,
    Congress of the USA.
    Taxing and spending,
    Taking away all your rights,
    Above the law and accountable to no one!
    We were born to be princes of the USA.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nice but so true. Reminds me of Rome and where they went, im sure we are on the same path :( How do you have a free society when Congress spins up Law on top of Law on top of Law? Freedom and Liberty died a long time ago in the U.S. thanks to these guys. Government wasnt suppose to be involved in every aspect of everyones life now was it. Government for the people??? Government coming at the people! with enough laws we can make everyone of our citizens a criminal. This is the path the Congress is taking America. The Police State isnt my America.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There are two kinds of freedom: freedom from and freedom to. Never underestimate the value of the former. :)

It's pretty funny that you think the US is a police state. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Count up all the agencys from federal to state to local that have to do with law enforcement and then tell me were not a police state. Its become a big business for Govt. Or you could look at the Patriot act. Freedom is Spin we havent been free in decades. Brought to you by the Congress who want to be involved in all aspects of everything and then tax you for it.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Government... It's hiding in the bushes... it's creeping closer... it's in your backyard...!!! It's coming through the door!!!! It's got a gun!!!!!!!! It's gonna strangle your daughter!! It's gonna steal your DVD collection!! It's gonna tax your dog!! And then it's gonna come for YOU!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If the alternative is anarchy, I'll opt for good government. Anarchists have already done most of the above with personal exceptions being: my daughter is fine, my freinds have pilfored my dvd collection and scattered it around the globe, and my dog died last year. Neither government nor anarchists had anything to do with my dvd's and dog. My daughter got three warnings and finally, a ticket for speeding. For that, I thank government for slowing her down ;)
    X

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

That's it, use humor to avoid the truth: that the government is growing ever larger and out of control, drunk on its own massive power and slowly taxing and spending us to death, with the ultimate goal of building a race of super robots funded by the inevitable 99% universal flat tax and powered off our body heat energy like in The Matrix.

8. diamond geezer macrumors regular

How about having the highest rate of incarceration in the world!

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hmmm. We're a society which tolerates masters in Congress and the White House who can in all seriousness condone arresting money. If not indicative of a police-state attitude, it's certainly a sign of certifiable confusion in thought processes...

Thee are temporary setbacks to the onward march of increasing government authority over daily life, such as occurred after the public hearings on Ruby Ridge and Waco. 9/11 allowed a resumption of the march.

Airports, under the control of the TSA and its gropers in training, do not seem to me to be locales where there is any high regard for Liberty, much less the Fourth Amendment...Or the First Amendment, for that matter.

I grant that by and large TPTB have regarded the general public with a generally benevolent attitude. However, the potential for abuse of power under such laws as the Patriot Act is horrifying. There is little or no recourse for the average-sized billfold.

'Rat

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed, there is little hope for holders of the average-sized billfold, who cannot even get a seat at the table where the big-billfold crowd makes decisions that affect us all, yet somehow money is equated to free speech...

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

No, I use humor to make a valid point. Avoidance of the "truth" and presumed omniscience are neither acceptable options. If the theme and line of questioning advocates better accountability in government, I'm on that page. If however, anarchy and the eradication of government are being considered as intelligent options, that line of thought needs to be challenged.
    X

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, if yuou don't have much money and speak against the established order, you're considered crazy.

If you have a lot of money and speak against the established order, you're merely eccentric.

I have no problems with the fundamental concepts of our government. It once was limited in its nature. My problem is that all governments are given to elephantiasis, and the administrations--and the bureaucracies--are dominated by folks who want power over others.

I see Congresscritters as wanting power over each other; they're uninterested in you and me. All they want is re-election, which is readily gotten by pandering to we who want largesse from the public coffers. They're Doing Good and they're Helping Us and we all know It's For The Children.

'Rat

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If you don't like it that much, you can go live somewhere else :)

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Heb, there's an advantage to looking at government with a jaundiced eye, regardless of one's efforts to affect its course. I saw a lot of today's stuff coming back during the early years of LBJ's Great Society programs, and worked at insulating myself from the more detrimental portions--as best I could, anyhow.

I've done well enough that I'm pretty doggoned content with my deal. Smug, even. I just keep my fingers crossed for those younguns in their thirties and forties. They gotta figure out what they want for an Old Fart's lifestyle; they have to set up some sort of process, and then they gotta do the achieving.

And try to enjoy life itsownself while they do it.

:), 'Rat

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I personally know and work with individuals and organisations which are exceptions to this stereotype and who are proactive, compassionate and hands on in their efforts to relieve human suffering. I think this quote from Hernando de Soto (Lima, Peru) is pertinent: "Poverty is not the issue: poor people have never been a problem. The problem is exclusion, and when poor people feel excluded, they start marching."
    X

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, I get a little harsh when the subject of government comes up. Been too close to it, worked in it...

There are a lot of really good folks out there. No such thing as "All" when you're talking about people. A caveat, of course, is that sincerity does not create truth, and motion does not necessarily equal accomplishment.

Yeah, for sure I'd buy the bit about "exclusion". AKA "hopelessness". The Romans tried to control the Mob with circuses; we have TV.

Nighty-bye,

'Rat

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Hey Rat,
    I had a sneaky suspicion you were a crusty 'ol experienced soul with a soft heart. Truth is too that your voice is needed to keep it honest, so keep jack hammering away. I think it's a good thing :cool:
    Pax Vobiscum
    X

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If that was a joke, it wasn't a very good one. A true patriot would seek to make the country better, not defend the government even when it screws up. Plus, if the current administration succeeds, there won't be anywhere else to go.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well call me crazy then.

So if the inevitability of even such limited government as you say ours was intended to be is bloat and waste and inefficiency, are you suggesting we will need to start over every so often?

I see people as wanting power over each other. Government is one way to acheive this, as is private industry. One panders to the other with our tax dollars in the balance. One wants re-election, the other wants larger profit margins. They are slaves to the same drive. They all think they know what we want, and either will sell out their community for what they want.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So true, everyone wants to be King and if given authority will not only use but try to get more control.Its the sad truth to human nature. This is Govt. They want to control what you eat,what you say,what you think and what you can do. I say we should just start over and begin with the Consitution. A basic set of laws. No where did the constitution say i would be forced to pay for their space programs, weapon programs, social programs and the list just goes keeps going on and on and on. Congress is tearing this country down bit by bit and selling it off. If the President needs term limits then these clowns in Congress should have them also.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've lived in or travelled extensively in some twenty countries. I've been pretty much all over the US, except upper New England and around the Dakotas. I'm where I am by choice. Warts and all, I'll take here.

Yeah, mac, we probably oughta start over, every couple of hundred years. I'd be content to go back to 1792 and the Constitution, but stay with the Amendments. Keep stuff like the Civil Rights Act and similar "fair play" legislation.

Get rid of a lot of the "arrest the money" laws from the War on Drugs. Lotsa federalized crimes have been taken away from the state level; restore it to that condition

Teach the difference between Public Use and Public Benefit. :D And rethink the long-term misuse of "interstate commerce"; limit it to actual commerce.

Take another look at HOW we do social transfers of money. Make sure welfare programs are set up for the accidental needy, not the sick, lame and lazy. That sort of thing.

Rethink tax structure. Get rid of a lot of the subsidies.

For instance, when Reagan came in, farm subsidies were around $6 billion/year. Eight years later, $40 billion/yr. They've grown since then. Now, there's whining becuase of proposed cuts of some $3 billion over five years. Duh? I won't even get into the sugar thing.

Let Congressional retirement be Social Security ONLY. I'd bet that would bring about self-limits to terms served.

Hey! there's a start!

:), 'Rat

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This country was founded on one. I think the biggest problem is Congress is suppose to work for the People not for corporate handouts for their campaigns. The forfathers didnt see that one coming because if they did they would have done something about it BIG TIME!

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, I strongly prefer the soap box and the ballot box over the cartridge box. You oughta know that by now.

Dunno as how I'd want an entire Congress full of Ron Pauls, but we could surely stand to have a bunch more folks there who have many of his views.

'Rat

25. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The 'forfathers' sure did hate government that served the interests of the society's wealthiest. And as for there being nowhere in the constitution that says you'll be forced to pay for space, weapons, and social programs, try looking at Article I, section 8 (generally, and specifically clauses 1, 2, 12, 13, 14, 16, and 17) and of course Article XVI.

I mean, Article I. That's the first one.