Connect a PS3 to an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by craigjs, Nov 29, 2006.

1. craigjs macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect a Playstation 3 to a 24" iMac
    The reason I am asking is that I am not sure whether to buy an 24" iMac or the cheaper 20" iMac. The inability to install a Bluy-Ray or a HD-DVD drive to the 24" iMac is a bit disappointing and detracts a bit from it being an all-in-one digital entertaiment aswell as computer system. Once HD-DVD and Blue Ray drives take off next year, the inablility to upgrade the 24" iMac will be very annoying. But if I could, at some point in the future, connect a Playstation 3 with its built-in Bluy-Ray drive to the 24" iMac the the problem would be solved.

So, is it possible to connect a Playstation 3 to a iMac?

Thanks,
    Craig.

2. JAT macrumors 603

For use as a drive? No. For using the iMac as a display? No.

Why not get an external BD or HDDVD drive when available for Macs?

I'm a little confused on how the 20" would be different.

3. craigjs thread starter macrumors newbie

I mentioned the 20" iMac for the reason that its costs less so if Apple annouce a tie-up with Bluy-Ray or HD-DVD next year, then buying a next gen iMac with blue-ray or hd-dvd drive will not be as painfull since I wont have wasted as much money as I would have if I'd bought the 24" iMac.

Obvioulsly an external Blue-Ray or HD-DVD drive would attach to the iMac using a USB 2.0 connector. Am I right?

Craig.

4. craigjs thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didnt make myself to clear in my first post.
    So, here is my question again.
    Would it be possible to connect a PlayStation 3 to an iMac in order to use the iMacs display for watching Hi-Def Movies using the Playstation 3s Blue-Ray drive?

C.

5. maccabbi macrumors newbie

Should be able too...

If you want to buy an Eyetv 250 that should allow you to see whatever the PS3 is displaying. You wouldn't be able to transfer files from the PS3 to the mac, but you could watch your videos. I have a similar setup with a WII. I got the Eyetv 250 so I could use the mac as a DVR and store videos, but seeing as my mac serves as TV as well I wanted to be able to play consoles on it. The Eyetv 250 and eyetv EZTV are the only solutions I can find that allow game play, because they can go through without a delay. If you just want to watch videos the delay shouldn't matter but if you want to play games it matters.

Good luck

6. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

You can, with the EyeTV solutions but you will not be able to take advantage of the quality that HDMI provides.

7. JAT macrumors 603

Yeah, doesn't that limit you to 640x480 resolution? Why would you bother with a $600 game machine only to play it in NTSC resolution on a 20" screen? Maybe with the HD version of EyeTV it would be a bit better. Spending an awful lot when the benefit is supposed to be playing in 720p on a big screen.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Apple has been on the Blu-Ray side for some time now. I could forsee them also supporting HD-DVD as well some time in the future. But your time frame (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray taking off next year? I doubt it) seems a little ambitious.

9. cynerjist macrumors regular

i cannot imagine hooking my ps3 into a monitor that small. After running it in 1080p with DD, it seems like such a waste to do this unless you do not have any home theater equipment or are in a dorm-room and have no space.

I imagine you do have such a constraint. In that case, I would recommend a non-Apple solution. You will need a monitor or vid-card with the right input options, namely HDMI. PCs are much better suited for this in my opinion.

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Eyetv will not bring in anything better then 480i. Have you thought about an external monitor? Im getting a BenQ with HDMI, DVI and etc for my PS3.