connect bt broadband via airport

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chiphawk, Feb 13, 2005.

1. chiphawk macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me how to set up my Airport Extreme with BT Broadband? I am using an iMac with OS10.2 but BT seem unable to support me in setting this up. I can connect with a wired connection but not on airport.
    All I need is a step by step guide of what I need to do in Airport Admin Utility/System Preferences etc. etc.
    OR someone to tell me that it is not possible to connect to bt broadband via an airport

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What equipment do you have exactly? The BT USB "fish" modem??

3. chiphawk thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i think it is a Thomson Speedtouch USB but I want to go via the airport extreme base station

Any ideas?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You will need an ethernet ADSL modem for starters. You cannot connect USB modems to AirPort. Do you have the AE base station already? If not I'd look at buying an all-in-one ADSL Modem and Wireless router.

5. chiphawk thread starter macrumors newbie

Already have the AE base station - have been using for non broadband for 18 months

What exactly would I need to get to make it work? I already have an ADSL filter but it does not seem compatible with my AE

Am I flogging a dead horse here?

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You need to replace that USB modem with one that is ethernet, then you can jack that ethernet connection in your AirPort and share the connection.

Something like this should do the trick.

7. chiphawk thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm getting there but I'm not very techy

What do i do with that ethernet connection? How does that fit in with my AE and my mac?

Can you explain in dunce's language?!

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OK, you need to be able to do this:

BT Phone line -> Modem -> AirPort.

Currently you have this problem:

BT Phone line -> Modem. Oh dear. You can't connect a modem to AirPort with the USB connection.

Solution:

BT Phone line -> Modem (With Ethernet connection rather than USB) -> Ethernet port on AirPort.

Make sense?

9. chiphawk thread starter macrumors newbie

makes sense...

Just one final thing. Are there any broadband providers who can go straight from bt phone line -> airport? Then I wouldn't need to buy the ethernet connection. I thought airports were supposed to be compatible with broadband so it seems strange that I need an extra bit of kit.

I'm not sure that BT are the best people to be with on a Mac!

Thanks for all the help so far!

10. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

im currently gunning my BT broadbabd through a D-Link DSL-500 router, into the Airport extreme base station and its working fine.

On a side note, is anyone else getting their BT broadband upgraded to 2Mb/s service for £4 less than the current 1Mb/s or is it just me

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AirPort is compatible with broadband...so long as your modem is ethernet and not USB ;)

There's no way to go from a phone line straight in to an AirPort using ADSL. You must have a ADSL modem in between.

12. chiphawk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - that's been more useful than 50 calls to the BT helpline!

Will order a new modem straightaway

thanks for all the help

13. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

phoneline - ethernet modem - Base station is the only way i know of but works fine. its the way i do it and never had a problem.

14. Gee macrumors 65816

Modems are not that expensive though - if you already have the AE basestation, try the Zoom X3 from Dabs.com - I've had one for a couple of years and it's been most reliable.

15. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

Or you could try one of these very cheap Ethernet modems - £18.99 + VAT + postage. One Ethernet port, one USB.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's anyone on the current 512 package - the difference between the packages now is a 15GB against a 30GB cap. :D

17. G.Kirby macrumors regular

G.Kirby

For those of you that haven't got an AE base station and want to use the freedom of airport on BBand you could try the Netgear DG834G router. It has an ADSL port and uses the same wireless standard as the AE base station so your Airport card in your Mac will work fine. The Netgear is around £80 but the range is not as good as the AE base station.....still it will cut out the need for yet another bit of kit on your desk. :D

However, it is about time that Apple put an ADSL port onto the AE base stations and ditch the 56k modem.

18. chiphawk thread starter macrumors newbie

OK guys, I am now the proud owner of a D-link DSL-300T ADSL modem...but am clueless to how to set it up with my airport.

Anyone got time for a step by step guide to setting it up (in dunce's language please)??? I've managed to get it plugged in and that's about it!

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unless someone else happens to have this modem, no one is going to be able to give you an exact step by step. Get reading that manual, and good luck! :)

20. chiphawk thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the manual - and am able to connect via my ADSL modem to broadband - but still can't get it to work with the Airport.

It doesn't seem to want to let me reconfigure the Airport to connect via the ethernet.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Please help! I want to go wireless!

21. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Perhaps you're using the wrong utility program. If you need to tell the AirPort base station to connect to the Internet with its Ethernet port, you must do that via the AirPort Admin Utility, located in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder (absolute path: /Applications/Utilities). The AirPort Admin Utility has help that you can access like any other Apple Mac software program: go to the Application menu (which has the name of the current application) (or is it the Help menu, if there is one? I don't remember, and I can't check because I'm not at my Mac) and choose Help.

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    OK - I'll give it a go. I don't have that modem but I do have BT broadband via an Airport base station so it's perfectly possible! I do remember a few screams of frustration along the way though

You've got it working with the ethernet modem plugged straight into the Mac? Right?

So turn on your airport but don't plug in the ethernet cable yet.
    Follow this guide
    http://www.adslnation.co.uk/support/knowledgebase/ht007.php
    It's from the company that I got my adsl modem from and helped no end - this one refers to the point after you've got the modem working with the Mac when wired.

If it still doesn't work, then turn modem, Mac and airport off but leave them wired together. Wait a few minutes then turn on the modem, wait for it to connect. Turn on the Airport and wait and then turn on the Mac. You should be OK then. (It was turning everything on in this order that finally got mine working and it's been fine ever since - a year and counting)

Good luck!