Connect iPad Mini to Feature Phone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlueSquidDoug, Mar 28, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I want to connect my iPad Mini to my feature phone (dumb phone) to use my iPad as a Bluetooth headset/interface.

If I can make and take calls and text with the iPad using my phone, I will be happy as a button.

HOW CAN I MAKE THIS DREAM COME TRUE???
    Help me MacRumors! I'm just a boy with a dream...

I am willing to Jailbreak my iPad.

2. macrumors 68000

I don't think the iPad is the major limiting factor here. If by "feature phone" you mean the free ones they hand out for people that don't want a smartphone, I highly doubt it's possible. The best you might be able to do is log in to your carrier's web site from the iPad to send a text message. The iPad won't support the "headset" end of the headset profile for Bluetooth, only the "phone" or "source" end so using the iPad as the mic/speaker for phone calls won't be possible.

If you had an iPhone you could register your phone number with Messages and then it would be usable across all your Apple devices for messaging.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's what I mean by feature phone. It has Bluetooth support.

Will a jailbreak make it POSSIBLE?

4. macrumors 68000

I guess the question is.. WHY?

Comfort-wise, I'd MUCH rather hold the phone than the iPad. Sure, the iPad is an Apple product vs. the no-name feature phone (which could then be hidden), but then all your conversations are heard by EVERYONE as there's no earpiece on the iPad like there is on an iPhone, just the main speaker. Unless you're plugging in headphones, but why not just plug those into the phone and put it in your pocket?.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Texting is 1000% faster on the iPad. A better interface.

And if you hold the iPad Mini upside down than the microphone and speaker are at the perfect place to have a phone conversation. :D

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Any ideas??