Connect Mac Pro and Macbook via ethernet to clone a backup onto the laptop drive?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by pullman, Aug 16, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Feb 11, 2008
    Is it possible to connect my Mac Pro via ethernet to my Macbook (which only boots into the Recovery partition) and clone over a Lion backup to the laptop?

I have two drives in the Macbook, one broken SSD and one Seagate Momentus. What I would like to do is to clone over the Lion backup to a partition on the Seagate.
  2. macrumors 68030

Jul 13, 2008
    A clone? No. A laptop requires a different installation than a Mac Pro. But I am assuming the clone you are referring to is the clone of the Mac Pro. If it's a clone of the laptop's software you can probably do it, depending on your cloning software.

However, if you have a version of the Mac OS that works on all Macs you could install it via the network connection.

See for an example.
  3. macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You don't need to clone the Mac Pro's hard drive. All you need to do is to backup your user files and third-party applications. This is trivial. I backed-up my tower to my PowerBook via Ethernet eleven years ago. There is no reason why you can't backup your Mac Pro to your MacBook today.