Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jorn R Jensen

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
MacBook-TV RGB-connection

I hope somebody can help me make this work.

I have connected my MacBook6.1 to my LG LCD TV using a RGB cable (recommended by and bought at the local Mac dealer).

The connection works - there are colours on the screen instead of "No signal", and sometimes the curser moves from the MacBook screen to the television screens.

I receive Danish television programmes (from a Slingbox in Denmark) perfectly well on the MacBook screen, but that's were they stop - no pictures, no sounds on the television.

What did I miss? Best, Jorn R Jensen

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I hope somebody can help me make this work.

I have connected my MacBook6.1 to my LG LCD TV using a RGB cable (recommended by and bought at the local Mac dealer).

The connection works - there are colours on the screen instead of "No signal", and sometimes the curser moves from the MacBook screen to the television screens.

I receive Danish television programmes (from a Slingbox in Denmark) perfectly well on the MacBook screen, but that's were they stop - no pictures, no sounds on the television.

What did I miss? Best, Jorn R Jensen

You likely have the TV set up as an extension of the monitor rather than a mirror of the monitor. That is why you can sometimes see the cursor if you drag it all the way to one side. Setting up the TV as a mirror is one of the preferences in the monitor under system preferences.

For sound, you do realize that the RGB form the video port doesn't carry audio? You will need a cable from the sound jack on the Macbook to the corresponding audio inputs that are paired with the RGB video input on your TV. I'm thinking you are going to need a mini (3.5 mm) to two RCA audio cable.

I would recommend all cables from Monoprice.com.

june.hayhurst

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Macbook to LG flatscreen TV/Monitor via a DVI Cable

I am also trying to connect a Macbook to LG flatscreen TV/Monitor via a DVI Cable but cannot get a picture on the TV. I want to watch bbc iplayer. Where do I find Mirror Display?
Would appreciate some help. Thank you June

I have a MacBook Pro and I'm trying to connect it to a flatscreen TV. I'm using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter and an HDMI cord to connect to the TV. I connected the cord to the TV and MacBook Pro, turned the TV on first, made sure it was displaying the HDMI port I had plugged my cord into, and then turned on the MacBook Pro. At first I see a blue screen on the TV and my MacBookPro, then on the TV I see what looks like an outerspace graphic, but it is not my MacBookPro screen.

Any ideas on why I'm not seeing my MacBookPro screen?

Update: I solved my screen issue. By using the Mirror Display option I'm now able to see my MacBook Pro screen on my TV, but I only get audio through my laptop. I thought the HDMI would allow the output to come from the TV. How do I get the audio to play from the TV. I also tried using an audio cable from my laptop to the TV, with no luck. Can anyone help me?

Loonitunes

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
Connecting my Macbook to my TV

Hi

I know answering this may mean going round in circles but could pls spell it out for me as I'm new to all this - as to how and which cable I need to connect my Macbook (10.4.11 version) which has a Mini-DVI port to my new Samsung TV which has
HDMI
VGA (15pin D-Sub)
ports

I thought a DVI to HDMI cable would do BUT I could be sooo wrong!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

arsonking

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
losing my mind

I have a Macbook and all i want is to hook it up to my TV. I had a bad experience already where i bought some cable but the didn't work. I was unaware that the apple cable was DVI-D and the other was DVI-I. I thought it was all the same. So now im right where i started with money spent. Is there a definitive Apple computer to Tv walk-trough if not what do people suggest (people with real know how, that can talk from a place of authority). I have an older Tv with no HDMI its Component,S-Video or composite. What to do???!!!???

What i tried and failed with

-Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
-DVI-I to 3 RCA Component Cable

-----------------------------------------
My Mb specs
OSX10.5.8
2.13 GHz intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 800 MHz DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Pre 2009

MacRumorsuser20

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Want to watch movies from MacBookPro in Vizio HDMI T.V> Monitor

I was told to buy a Minidisplay Port to HDMI Adapter and hook it up to a HDMI cable and plug it in the back of T.V.
Got it. Now I am running Lion so what I see in the tv monitor is the secondary desktop. How do I switch to primary monitor?

Phyguy

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
RE: Want to watch movies from MacBookPro in Vizio HDMI T.V> Monitor

I was told to buy a Minidisplay Port to HDMI Adapter and hook it up to a HDMI cable and plug it in the back of T.V.
Got it. Now I am running Lion so what I see in the tv monitor is the secondary desktop. How do I switch to primary monitor?

Try this: go to Mission Control (four finger swipe up on the trackpad) and drag the window you want to see to the 2nd desktop. All of your desktops will appear at the top of the screen. You can easily drag applications from one desktop to another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.