Connect MBP to HDMI via Thunderbolt or Displayport?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whitelightning, Feb 27, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Being a first time mac user... what exactly do you use to connect from MBP to HDMI? (for both video and audio) Is there anything you guys can recommend?

2. macrumors 6502

Seeing as the thunderbolt port is also a mini displayport connection, you could use a mini displayport to hdmi adaptor.

3. macrumors newbie

I ordered the Kanex V2 adapter from Amazon, they had it for $21 and change. I couldn't find any reports of people trying it with the new models yet. Hopefully someone here may be able to elaborate on whether the adapter still works with this model.

4. macrumors 6502

I can confirm it will work without issues. Apple stated on their website that the thunderbolt port will also accept mini displayport devices and can be used with mini displayport cords.

5. macrumors regular

I bought the moshi mini dp hdmi adaptor from the apple store with my 15" pro. The new model comes with sound, since the thunderbolt/mini display can now handle sound as well as video.

It's $49 Australian, but since it comes with the computer and has free shipping, it will end up cheaper than if I purchased a random third party adaptor.

6. macrumors newbie

Your Moshi adapter worked? Mine didn't... wondering what the issue is..... :/

7. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

8. macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The 2010's do sound as well.

9. macrumors 65816

Has anyone else noticed a specific product line disappearing from the online Apple Store some days ago? Thursday or Friday last week, there were a product line called iWires. They were neatly designed cables made especially for Apple products, but they disappeared from the store again on Friday or Saturday. I actually wanted to buy a mDP to HDMI cable of this brand along with a MacBook Pro on Saturday, but couldn't due to the removal...

Take a look at their website here: http://www.techlink.uk.com/products/wires_cables/iwires

10. macrumors 65816

Works fine. Kanex makes good stuff for a reasonable price. I'm also using their min display port to displayport cable for my NEC monitor. No clunky adapter, just a cable.
    http://www.kanexlive.com/products/mdp_hdmi_10ft.html

They make a similar cable for HDMI but its pricier.
    http://www.kanexlive.com/products/mdp_hdmi_10ft.html

11. macrumors newbie

The Kanex v2 fixed the display port issues on Thunderport

I just got my Kanex v2 adapter and it worked flawlessly. The Moshi Mini display port to hdmi adapter that I had been using with my mid 2010 macbook pro didn't work with my new Macbook pro with the thunder port. I got the Kanex v2 adapter from Amazon and it fixed everything. I have my MBP hooked up to a 24" Dell monitor. I now have it hooked up to my 52" Sony LED TV watching a movie while I'm posting this. It's as cheap as $17 through this link: Kanex v2 adapter

12. macrumors newbie