connect old mac(s) to newer mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Epona, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Epona macrumors newbie

I have three macs. A LCII, a PowerMac 7200/75 and a G3 that's been upgraded to a G4. I only have one monitor. Ideally, I would like to connect all three, but would be happy to just connect the 7200 and the G4.

Any help would be appreciated. Please keep it simple as I am not a technie, just dependent on my mac for home-business purposes.

Thank you in advance. Epona

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It sounds like you could use a KVM switch. I have this one, and it works great. It's very simple and easy to use, and it does everything that it needs to.

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

you can connect your LCII with the appletalk port to the 7200, then when you start it up you can log onto it and use it's harddrive. It doesn't go fast, but it's fun.

4. Epona thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i'll check that out.

5. Epona thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply. could you be more specific? what do i use to connect one to the other.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It has been a while for me to connect them, but at first you do need two screens, or plug one screen in the other mac. You have to make a network using the appletalk port and an appletalk cable. The appletalk port is the modem port on your LC and you have to set appletalk in your Chooser and then they will see each other, do the same with the 7200. Now you can connect through your 7200 to the LC.

Also check this page for more info:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=6859

7. Epona thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. thanks so much.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It might help to specify exactly what you want to do with all three. Is it to be able to use them like a stand-alone computer? Or do you just want access to the hard drives of the old ones? Because if it's the latter, you should just copy everything over, or at a minimum network them together as described.

Or just buy a couple old monitors.