Connect over Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by robotrenegade, May 28, 2003.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2002
    How can I get into my computer at home from school, with an airport extreme base station:confused:
  2. FatTony macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    I assume you mean that your home computer is connected to the internet via the airport extreme basestation. I also assume that you have an "always on" internet connection (ie: cable/dsl).

If you have the airport handing out IP addresses to your computers at home because you only get 1 IP address from your ISP, then you are behind a NAT. You need to turn on port-forwarding (on the base station) so that when a request (you from school) comes in, the base station knows who to forward the request to (your home computer).

I have a snow airport base station at home, so I'm not sure if something has changed with airport extreme. This is how I do it at home:

1. Open Airport Admin Utility in /Applications/Utilities/
    2. Click 'Configure'
    3. When your base station's configure page comes up, click the 'port mapping' tab
    4. Click the add button
    5. fill in the appropriat info on the sheet.

Figuring out the apropriate info can be difficult. For AppleTalk, the usual port is 548. So you could do:
      Public Port: 548
      Private Address: 10.0.1.Whatever the IP address is for you home mac, probably 2
      Private Port: 548

I'm pretty sure this will work. I can't test it at the moment.

Another tip: Set up a user account with few privileges (not an admin) so that when you connect remotely you are less likely to let in bad guys!