Connect over Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by robotrenegade, May 28, 2003.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

How can I get into my computer at home from school, with an airport extreme base station:confused:

2. FatTony macrumors regular

I assume you mean that your home computer is connected to the internet via the airport extreme basestation. I also assume that you have an "always on" internet connection (ie: cable/dsl).

If you have the airport handing out IP addresses to your computers at home because you only get 1 IP address from your ISP, then you are behind a NAT. You need to turn on port-forwarding (on the base station) so that when a request (you from school) comes in, the base station knows who to forward the request to (your home computer).

I have a snow airport base station at home, so I'm not sure if something has changed with airport extreme. This is how I do it at home:

1. Open Airport Admin Utility in /Applications/Utilities/
    2. Click 'Configure'
    3. When your base station's configure page comes up, click the 'port mapping' tab
    4. Click the add button
    5. fill in the appropriat info on the sheet.
      [/list=1]

Figuring out the apropriate info can be difficult. For AppleTalk, the usual port is 548. So you could do:
      Public Port: 548
      Private Address: 10.0.1.Whatever the IP address is for you home mac, probably 2
      Private Port: 548

I'm pretty sure this will work. I can't test it at the moment.

Another tip: Set up a user account with few privileges (not an admin) so that when you connect remotely you are less likely to let in bad guys!