connect PC to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mmmdreg, Feb 15, 2003.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

using osx and xp, how do i get files off the mac onto the pc using a ethernet crossover cable? i don't really know how to set up the pc and all but it seems to be quite a bitch...

2. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

You could use Dave I think to do this. A free solution is that you could probably run an FTP server on the PC and get the mac to connect to the FTP server on the PC by using an FTP client on the mac and connecting to ftp://SelfAssignedPcIPAddress and transfering the files that way to the PC? I'm not totally sure though..

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Sure ftp will work. Also you can set up a share on the Windows PC and connect to it from the Mac, then just drag and drop. It's very easy. I do this all the time. Today I attached from the Cube to the PC downstairs and grabbed an Excel file, then opened it with OpenOffice. No problems at all.

4. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

it seems the PC has an invalid IP address..how do I change this?

5. non fiction macrumors newbie

You don't need any extra software to connect an OSX mac to a windows PC. After the connection with a crossover cable, both machines can see each other. You log on to the PC from the Mac via the smb (server message block) command line. As a result, you need to set up the disk and sharing names correctly on the PC.

Go to this URL for more info-

http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/documentation/howto/html/osxsmb.html

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

dude, i would put them both on a router so that you don't have to set up the network, but if you have them set up right (IP addresses and everything, all you do is put all the files you want off of your PC into a shared folder, go to your OS X box, open system prefs, click "sharing," and then find the option to enable windows file sharing. then, from a finder window, hit cmd-k (to connect to a server. enter the IP address of your computer and click "connect." shortly you will be asked for a username and password. if you didn't set up one on your XP box (no password for filesharing that is), then just say OK without changing anything, and then you will get a menu of all the folders shared on your XP box. click the one you want to connect to, and bingo, there you go. you can copy the files at will.

[edit] this is basically what nonfiction said, but it was a more thorough explanation. hope it helps you [/edit]