Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
In an attempt to get my in-laws into the 21st century, I wanted to get them an AppleTV. They don't have a computer yet, but I was hoping it would be possible to connect to a remote AppleTV across the internet. Basically, I would have them sign up for internet service, connect an AppleTV to a configurable router or directly to the cable modem, and then find a way to make my iTunes connect across the internet to their AppleTV and sync music, photos, and movies so they can watch it whenever they want.

Short of setting up a VPN (if that's even feasible), is there a simpler way of doing it?

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I doubt you can get that to work, but you could simply sync the AppleTV from your computer periodically, then let it run without the network at their house. Unless they were going to rent movies, they wouldn't need the internet connect at all.

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
Mac mini

Get your in-laws a mac mini. Once they have an internet connection, they can file share from your computer. Have them connect the mac mini to their HDTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.