Connect to internet in menubar using airport

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Veldek, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hi there!

Today I bought an airport card for my iMac and the airport extreme base station. As my computer is standing far away from my telephone, I wanted to get rid of all the cables throughout my rooms. Well, it's working fine, but I want to know one thing:

When I had the DSL modem connected to my ethernet port, I could connect and disconnect from the internet using the ethernet icon in the menubar. But now I have to start "Internet Connect" everytime I want to do this, unless I want to be connected all the time. Is there a way to do this from the menubar just like before?

I should note that I'm using 10.1.5, so if there are any programs that could solve this, they must not be 10.2 only.

Thanks in advance!
    Veldek

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

can't you click and hold on the reception icon in the menu bar (upper right corner of screen) and choose to turn it off?

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i don't understand why you need to connect/disconnect? the DSL is always on, whether you're connected to it or not... so you might as well be up and running... if you have safety concerns, there are much better ways.

pnw

4. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I don't know if you can select to have the airport in the menu bar at the top with OSX10.1. Check my desktop, there's a pick of it.

Sysprefs>Internet>Airport>Airport Tab>Show in MenuBar

5. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I always want to be connected to my airport, but not to the internet as I don't have a flatrate. I know how to activate and deactivate my airport using the menubar icon, but my base station keeps the internet connection when I deactivate airport, I think. So is there a way?

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset

7. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

You should be able to select connect or disconnect, mines dail-up but should make no difference.

You might want to look for any Mac OS X compatible software from the manufacturers of you DSL modem.

8. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

@alset: Thanks for your response, but that's the way I already knew. I want to do it using the airport menubar icon.

@Wardofsky: Hmm, interesting. You have exactly the option I need. Most probably you use jaguar and it is not available for 10.1?

Thanks to all!