Connect to ISP using t616?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Phatpat, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I've got a sony ericsson t616 and would like to use it with bluetooth and my powerbook to connect to the web. I've been having a lot of difficulty setting it up. I always tend to get a "no carrier detected" error message. I know the number works, and the phone works. Any suggestions? or has anyone seen any tutorials to make this work?

2. rjrufo macrumors regular

I tried the same thing with my Powerbook and T616, but the modem in the phone is way too slow. If you want a faster connection, get a GPRS account from your provider. It adds to the cost, but well worth the money over the time spent waiting for pages to load (Unless you have unlimited minutes on your plan.)

3. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I don't really need speed right now; I won't be using it very frequently. It sounds like you got it working. Anything special you had to do?

4. applefan macrumors regular

Who's your cellular account with? I followed these instructions for my t68i and the dial number for AT&T is, *99#

BTW my connection speed reaches a screaming 14 kbs.

5. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

I too use the T616 with AT&T's GPRS service. It's *very* slow but it's better than being completely isolated. I also have it configured on my HP iPaq w/bluetooth and it suffers from the same low-speed connecton.

6. rjrufo macrumors regular

Phatpat,

Those instructions that applefan linked to are similar to how I did it, so they shoud work with the T616. I'd warn you though that I never got a connection any faster than 9.something kbs with my T616.

Good luck, and enjoy waiting for the pages to load.:p

7. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Thanks for all your help. My provider is cingular, and I'm dialing a dial up number to connect to an isp, interaccess. When I click connect under bluetooth in internet connect, it says "contacting ppp server" and my phone displays "calling [insert number here]" a pop up then comes up on my computer that says "No carrier detected. Please check phone line connection and try again" Makes me think that I'm not getting enough signal, but I can still call people and receive calls. Any ideas?

8. rjrufo macrumors regular

Phatpat,

I just checked my settings to see if there is anything that I could think of to get you on your way, and I noticed that in the Bluetooth Modem tab of Network Preferences, I have the "Wait for dial tone before dialing" check box clear. If I remember correctly, I had a similar problem when I was setting it up, and found that to be the cause.

If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'll post screen shots of my settings. Maybe that'll get you up and running... or walking... or more likely, crawling.