Connect to Shared Windows Ad-hoc Wireless network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bingo MacGee, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Bingo MacGee macrumors newbie

OK, I know this might be weird for some of you, but we can work through this... I'm looking for an answer to a question **GASP!**

A neighbor has a cable Internet connection. They have stated that they are more than happy to share that broadband connection with me. The current setup is as follows:

- Cable modem connected to WinXP
    - ICS is set to share that connection with ad-hoc wireless network
    - Cable modem must be connected to the computer, as they work for the cable company in question

How do I connect my PB G4 running Mac OS X v10.4.8 to the ad-hoc Wireless connection and get an IP and get Internet access and actually move closer to living in the 21st century?

(NO! A router is not an option! Do not post "Get a router". If you do, you shall incur the curse of pittosporum folliculitis of the middle third of your body...)

Anyone who has any actual information about connecting a Mac OS X v10.4.8 Macintosh to a Windows shared ad-hoc wireless connection will garner the favor of the beer angels and be blessed with pale women and dark beer... or vice versa... whatever... I'm not judging... It's cool... I mean I like a little ****EDITED FOR CONTENT**** every once in a while...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well start by configuring the XP machine with ICS to create the ad-hoc network. I haven't done this personally, but I imagine it should be a simple matter of finding that network and connecting to it from your Mac using the AirPort menu in your Menu Bar. I could be totally wrong though. Good luck with this and your aled-up women. :)